Pumpkin gooey butter cake is the perfect combination of spice cake and pumpkin cheesecake all in one irresistible fall dessert – and you only need 7 ingredients to make it.
I’m starting off with these irresistible pumpkin gooey butter cake bars. With a simple spice cake mix base and a pumpkin cream cheese topping they are a whole lot of fall flavors in one bite.
When I dreamed up this pumpkin gooey butter cake recipe, I first thought of using a box of spice cake mix for the base. But then I found a seasonal box of pumpkin cake mix and was conflicted. Pumpkin on pumpkin??
However, I thought the spice cake might give these bars the extra flavor contrast they need to avoid being too one note – and I was right! I don’t think they would have been as good with the pumpkin cake mix (but now I do need to find a recipe in which to use that).
These pumpkin gooey butter cake bars are simple to make and crazy delicious as proven by the rave reviews they received from everyone who had the pleasure of trying them. Even some pumpkin haters were turned into fans.
What you need to make pumpkin gooey butter cake:
Pumpkin season is here, and we are celebrating our love of pumpkin with #PumpkinWeek hosted by Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. All week-long 11 bloggers will be sharing over 30 pumpkin-filled recipes for all your Autumn celebrations, including breakfasts, baked goods, savory pumpkin recipes, desserts, and drinks.
More #PumpkinWeek Recipes Below:
- Chipotle Chicken and Pumpkin Chowder from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Easy No Bake Pumpkin Mousse Dessert from Blogghetti
- Pumpkin Meatballs in a Creamy Tomato Sauce from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pumpkin Lasagna Rolls from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Pumpkin Madeleines from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Malai Kofta from Magical Ingredients
- Pumpkin Milkshake from Art of Natural Living
- Pumpkin Spice Brioche Rolls from The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Pie from Palatable Pastime
- Spiced Pumpkin Butter from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Three years ago: Flying Purple People Eater Cake Balls
Four years ago: Slime Lava Cakes
Six years ago: Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies
Seven years ago: Weekly Meal Plan #33
Eight years ago: Chocolate Deviled Eggs
Nine years ago: No-Churn Pumpkin Cannoli Ice Cream
Ten years ago: Ghost Chili with Cornbread Topping and Chipotle Creama
- 1 package spice cake mix
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 8 Tbsp (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl with a hand mixer, combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat the mixture evenly into the bottom of prepared baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin puree until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden on top*.
- Allow to cool before cutting into squares.
*Make sure not to over-bake as the center should be a little gooey.
Source: Adapted from my Gluten-Free Ooey Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake.