I forgot to mention something very important yesterday – November is National Peanut Butter Lovers Month! You all know that I definitely fall into that category so when Alyssa of PB Crave asked if I wanted to try out their flavored peanut butter there wasn’t a moment of hesitation.
PB Crave offers four natural peanut butter blends with new twists using ingredients such as white chocolate, raspberries and wild honey. The fun flavors include Cookie Nookie, Razzle Dazzle, Coco Bananas and Choco Choco. Also there are no hydrogenated oils, no artificial flavors, no syrups, no high-fructose corn syrup, gluten and cholesterol free, UD Kosher certified, no refrigeration required, made in small batches, and use USDA-approved manufacturing. In short their peanut butter is fun, delicious and nutritious.
Another great thing about PB Crave is that they are committed to making a difference in the world by donating 2 percent of the profits of every PB Crave jar to Project Peanut Butter, a non-profit organization that aims to treat 2 million malnourished children by 2015. What an even better way to celebrate a holiday!
Using their four flavors I am going to celebrate this wonderful month by incorporating their peanut butter into my November PB+Choc Saturday recipes. The first jar to be opened was Choco Choco which has wild honey, semisweet and dark chocolate blended in – perfect for PB+Choc Saturday! Since the Ohio State game is at 11am (central) I figured it was a good time to make something breakfasty, and doughnuts came to mind because it had been a long time since the last batch.
I present to you baked choco-peanut butter doughnuts, glazed with more choco-peanut butter and topped with peanuts, sprinkles or whatever else you desire to complement your choco-peanut buttery-ness. I was torn and did half with peanuts half chocolate sprinkles. I nicknamed them Buckeye doughnuts in honor of my beloved football team and a delicious doughnut shop on the border of campus called Buckeye Donuts (who has their own spectacular Buckeye doughnut). Mmmm, doughnuts.
Stay turned for more awesome PB Crave flavors the next three Saturdays this month! What do you think I should make with Cookie Nookie, Razzle Dazzle, and Coco Bananas?
Two years ago: Pumpkin Spice Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
BAKED CHOCO-PEANUT BUTTER DOUGHNUTS
Makes 8 doughnuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Sprinkles, chopped peanuts, or mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a doughnut pan, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the melted butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar. Whip until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add about a third of the buttermilk, followed by half of the dry ingredients. Repeat with buttermilk-dry-buttermilk and then mix until just combined.
- Pipe or spoon batter into prepared doughnut pan. Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until doughnuts spring back when lightly tapped. Cool on wire rack.
- While the doughnuts cool, prepare the glaze. In a medium bowl add powdered sugar, peanut butter, vanilla and milk. Whisk until smooth. Add more milk or powdered sugar to reach desired consistency.
- Dunk the cooled doughnuts into the glaze and turn glaze-side-up back onto the wire rack. Top with chocolate sprinkles, chopped peanuts or mini chocolate chips if desired.
Disclosure: I was provided with full-sized samples for review from Konnect Public Relations. I was not compensated for this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.