Graduate from canned condensed tomato soup and make your own easily in the slow cooker. Don’t forget the grilled cheese!
Even though it was warm here yesterday, it rained most of the day (poor trick-or-treaters) and rain definitely puts me in a soup mood. Specifically tomato soup with grilled cheese to dip into it. And even better when it’s a slow cooker recipe, filling your home with wonderful aromas to come home to at the end of the day. Granted you cannot eat it immediately as it requires an additional step at the end, but you won’t hear me complaining.
Despite the 70-degree weather, I made this soup earlier this week and have been enjoying it ever since. However I do wish I would start to feel like fall for more than 2 days. I was so excited to finally bust out my jackets and boots last weekend but they have been put on hold once again. It’s difficult for me to get into the holiday spirit when I am still wearing short sleeves and flats! Alas, I just have to continue preparing meals as if it were a brisk fall day outside.
P.S. Stayed tuned for Monday’s post to hear about the fat-kid-friendly grilled cheese I served with this soup!
National Soup Swap Day Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pepperoni Pizza Soup by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Beef Noodle Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Black Bean Soup with Bacon by Food Above Gold
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cod Chowder with Bacon by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- French Onion Soup by The Redhead Baker
- German Goulash Soup by Savory Moments
- Healthy Crockpot Split Pea Soup by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Herbed Chicken and Spinach Soup by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Asiago Artichoke Ham & Bean Soup by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Italian Wedding Soup by Cooking For My Soul
- Parsnip Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Creamy Potato and Ham Soup by Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder by Everyday Eileen
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup by The Spiffy Cookie
- Stuffed Pepper Meatball Soup by Tip Garden
- Vegan Thai Roasted Carrot Soup by The Baking Fairy
Post updated 1/19/19, pictures above and below recipe are the originals.
One year ago: Pecan-Crusted Chicken with Roasted Broccoli
Two years ago: Homemade Pumpkin Puree
SLOW COOKER TOMATO BASIL SOUP
Serves approximately 6
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
3 (15 oz.) cans petite diced tomatoes, with juice
1 tsp thyme
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1-1/2 cups reduced fat (2%) milk, warmed
Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add celery, carrots, onion and tomatoes to the slow cooker. Then add chicken broth, thyme, and basil. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, until the vegetables get soft and the flavors blend.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth (or use a blender using small batched).
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over low heat then add the flour. Whisk constantly for 4 to 5 minutes until it turns golden. Slowly whisk in about 1 cup of the hot soup, then add the warmed milk and stir until smooth. Pour back into the slow cooker and stir, add the grated Pecorino cheese and adjust salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low 30 more minutes. Serve.
Source: Adapted from Gina’s Skinny Taste.
Made something from the blog?
Share it on Instagram with #TheSpiffyCookie
[…] Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup by The Spiffy Cookie […]
Tomato basil is always my fave! Love that this is made in the slow cooker!
I really should use my slow cooker more. I always get the tomato basil when I go to Panera, yours looks good!
This is my favorite rainy day meal. I love tomato soup with grilled cheese. I am looking for more ways to use the crock pot so I will be trying this recipe out soon.