These chicken enchiladas owe their creaminess to the addition of one of my favorite ingredients – cream cheese! They are a crowd favorite.
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Guess what? I have money in my bank account again (for now)! First thing I bought? The ingredients for this meal and my shopping list consisted of: cream cheese, enchilada sauce, green chiles, scallions, and tortillas.
Yes, that was all I had to buy. I never realized until the past two weeks how stocked my kitchen is before going to the grocery store. And how many different and delicious things I could make without leaving home.
But regardless of what your pantry looks like, buy whatever ingredients you do not already have and make this. Very easy to prepare and it cooked while I got ready to meet up with friends for drinks.
I definitely took a moment to slow down and enjoy this delicious thing that I put on my plate before going off into the night with a full and happy belly!
Update (8/23/18): I love that you guys love this recipe so much! It was posted over 7 years ago and to this day is still one of the top 2 recipes on my blog. And for good reason because it’s dang tasty. New photos were long overdue so I hope you enjoy!
Can you make it healthier?
If you want a slightly healthier version check out my enchilada stuffed acorn squash recipe. You could also try this with corn tortillas which will be slightly better and more authentic, but for some reason I prefer flour tortillas. Go figure.
Favorite Chicken Recipe
- Blackened Chicken from Art of Natural Living
- Chicken and Avocado Salad from That Recipe
- Chicken Macaroni Salad from Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Chicken Ramen Stir Fry from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Tortillas from The Freshman Cook
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Creamy Chicken with sun Dried Tomatoes from Lemon Blossoms
- Easy Slow Cooker Italian Chicken from Blogghetti
- Garlic and Ginger Caramel Chicken Thighs from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Hot Chicken and Pancake Tacos from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- One Skillet Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Pasta from Family Around the Table
- 5 oz. cream cheese, room temperature (I used reduced fat)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 10 oz. can of enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded cotija cheese (or more of the above cheeses)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed (or canned, drained)
- 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas (I used whole wheat)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9×13 dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese, sour cream, and 1/2 of the enchilada sauce. Stir in 1/2 cup each of cheddar and monterey jack cheese.
- In a second bowl toss together the chicken, corn, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, green chiles, and half of the scallions. Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and combine well.
- Spread about half of the remaining enchilada sauce (1/4 of the can) in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spoon the filling into each tortilla, roll the tortilla up, and place in the baking dish with the seam down. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the filled tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheeses. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve.
Source: Adapted from Buns In My Oven.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see!
Post updated 8/23/18, picture above is the original.
Items you may need (affiliate links):