Wake up to the best stinking bagels ever, double chocolate chip bagels! And don’t forget to whip up some crazy easy peanut butter cream cheese. Seal the deal.
Guys, guys, guys! These are the best bagels ever! They are double dose chocolate bagels (triple is you use chocolate honey like I did) and to sweeten the deal they are served with a peanut butter cream cheese, which gets all melty and awesome when spread on a warm toasted bagel. I wanted to eat the entire batch in one sitting. Heck I’m sitting here (Friday night) typing this post staring at them, thinking about going back for more. The only thing stopping me is knowing that I’m eating pizza in less than 2 hours for dinner. And I gotta save some for Saturday morning to get ready for the OSU vs PSU game! It’ll be a war zone in our house as Bob went to Penn State. I think these bagels will come in handy as a peace offering haha.
One year ago: Pumpkin S’mores Dessert Lasagna
Two years ago: S’mores Pumpkin Pie
Three years ago: Cheddar-BBQ Turkey Meatloaf Muffins
CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHIP BAGELS WITH PEANUT BUTTER CREAM CHEESE
1 pkg. (2-1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1/4 cup+ 1/2 tsp chocolate honey (or regular honey)
2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder (or regular cocoa)
2 Tbsp light brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup baking soda
4 cups water
PEANUT BUTTER CREAM CHEESE
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2-4 Tbsp honey, to taste
Pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1/2 teaspoon honey in the warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, brown sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the 1/4 cup honey, oil, and yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough until smooth, about 7-8 minutes or use a stand mixer with the hook attachment. While the dough is coming together, watch it to see if it is looking dry. If so add a tablespoon or so of water until slightly tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers. Knead in the chocolate chips.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough in the bowl. Lightly coat the dough with oil as well. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 – 2 hours.
- While the dough rises, prepare the cream cheese. In a small bowl blend together the cream cheese, peanut butter, 2 tablespoons of honey, and salt. Add more honey if preferred. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the dough has risen, preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, set aside.
- Place the baking soda and water into a pot and bring to a boil while preparing the dough.
- Put the risen dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball (do not re-knead) and poke a hole into the center, stretching it out slightly to form a ring. Cover dough with a clean, damp cloth and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Once risen, drop into the boiling water, 2 at a time. Let boil for about 1 minute per side, then remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, rotating halfway through. Allow to cool and serve with peanut butter cream cheese. Best the first day but also freeze well.
Source: Bagels adapted from my Everything Bagel Bites and other bagel recipes on my blog.