During one of my most recent visits to Nashville, I went to a taco stand called Mas Tacos Por Favor and had the best fried avocado tacos. I enjoyed them so much that I had to figure out how to make them at home, or else I would have driven 3 hours just to get some more.
Oven-frying is my favorite way to cook chicken, so I decided to incorporate this method for the avocado and it worked beautifully. I couldn’t remember exactly what else was on the taco, but I improvised based on what I could remember or see in the picture I took with my phone and it came out pretty darn close. The only thing I would change is possibly cutting back a little on the lime or adding sriracha to the sauce. I think a lime-sriracha sauce would be wonderful.
These tacos were also served with a healthier version of elote (Mexican corn), which will be posted tomorrow!
One year ago: Farfalle with Zucchini and Ricotta
OVEN-FRIED AVOCADO TACOS WITH CILANTRO-LIME CREME
2 Tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 large, firm but ripe avocado (pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-in wedges)
1 lime wedge
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2% Chobani)
1 Tbsp finely minced cilantro
Zest of 1/2 lime
1/2 Tbsp lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
6-six inch white corn tortillas
1 small radicchio, chopped
1/4 cup sliced red onion
Cilantro, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange a wire rack on a large baking sheet; coat rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pour the corn starch and Panko bread crumbs on two separate shallow plates. Put the egg in a shallow bowl and beat until well blended.
- Squeeze the lime wedge over the slices of avocado. Lightly coat each avocado slice with the cornstarch. Knock off any excess. Dip the coated avocado into the eggs then coat with the Panko bread crumbs.
- Arrange avocado on rack; coat with cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cilantro-lime crème by mixing together all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Evenly divide the radicchio and red onion among the tortillas, followed by the avocado. Top with lime creme and cilantro. Serve immediately.