Crispy avocado fries made right in your oven, perfectly paired with a lime sriracha mayo for dipping.
If anyone noticed my absence the past few days on the internet it’s because Brent graduated from the Physician Assistant program at Bethel University! Despite having the gym set up in case of rain, they continued with it outside even though it did in fact rain.
Through the down-pour I stuck it out – his program was last to be called, and his name was dead last for the entire graduation. Everyone was soaked but I don’t think any spirits were dampered. I just can’t believe it is over. It’ll be even crazier when I graduate with my PhD in (hopefully) 2 more years.
Speaking of crazy, avocados are everywhere lately. So many different ways to use them have been popping up, and I will probably love every one I try. Even these cupcakes by Jessica (How Sweet It Is).
But a less crazy version of avocados are these fries. The concept may be a little crazy, but they are definitely not scary. The rich creamy avocado coated in a crunchy shell is a perfect match. Don’t forget the dip! They are a great side to these Pineapple Chicken Kabobs but I also enjoy them in tacos too.
The first time I made these I fried them up like any other fried food, but I have since become obsessed with oven-frying and therefore have updated the recipe as such.
Oven-frying is my favorite because it it doesn’t use anywhere near as much oil (let alone disposing of it afterwards) and it’s much easier to clean up. It truly does get just as crispy in the oven!
Post updated 8/19/20, photo above is the original.
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Large, firm but ripe avocado (pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-in wedges)
- 1 lime wedge
LIME SRIRACHA MAYO
- 1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Sriracha, or other spicy chili sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange a wire rack on a large baking sheet; coat rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pour the corn starch and Panko bread crumbs on two separate shallow plates. Put the egg in a shallow bowl and beat until well blended.
- Squeeze the lime wedge over the slices of avocado. Lightly coat each avocado slice with the cornstarch. Knock off any excess. Dip the coated avocado into the eggs then coat with the Panko bread crumbs.
- Arrange avocado on rack; coat with cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lime sriracha mayo by mixing together all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Add more sriracha to taste depending on how spicy you want it.
- Serve along side your avocado fries and enjoy!
Source: Avocado Fries adapted from My Man’s Belly. Lime Sriracha Mayo from A Cozy Kitchen.