I love Mexican street corn but I have discovered a way to make a slightly healthier elote by using Greek yogurt instead of mayo! So good, you might not even notice.
In my opinion, no Mexican meal is complete without elote, especially when paired with tacos (or Mexican hot dogs). Since I have already made the tacos healthier by oven-frying the avocados I decided I needed to do the same with the corn.
All I did was swap out the mayo for Greek yogurt, but I honestly could not tell the difference. Probably because I stilled used butter and cotija cheese. Hence why they are “healthier” not “healthy”.
What you need to make healthier elote:
- Corn on the cob
- Unsalted butter
- Greek yogurt
- Cotija cheese
- Smoked paprika
- Lime wedges, optional
These ears of corn were husked and baked in the oven, but I usually prefer grilling them with the husks on. Unfortunately, at the time when I first made this recipe I did not own an outdoor grill.
If you are lucky enough to have a grill, soak them in water beforehand for at least 30 minutes or wrap in foil so the husks don’t catch on fire! I may speak from experience…
Alternatively, you could cut the corn right off the cob and instead make Mexican corn casserole – also “healthier” with Greek yogurt.
Post updated 7/20/2023, photo above is the original.
One year ago: Banana Peanut Butter Bread Pudding
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely grated cotija cheese
- Smoked paprika
- 2 lime wedges, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll ears of corn in melted butter and wrap securely in foil. Bake for 25 minutes, turning often.
- Remove from oven and carefully unwrap the corn.
- Using a spatula or basting brush, spread Greek yogurt evenly over each ear of corn. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and paprika. Serve with a lime wedge.
Easily double or triple this recipe for more servings
Source: Adapted from Allrecipes.