Love sourdough? How about blueberry muffins? Well now you can have them both at the same time with these jumbo sized sourdough fresh blueberry muffins.
Welcome to another exciting month of the Secret Recipe Club! This month I was assigned to Lynn’s blog Turnips 2 Tangerines. While browsing her recipes, it didn’t take me long to realize that she has a serious repertoire of sourdough recipes. Evidently she participates in another cooking group that specializes in sourdough (Sourdough Surprises). Since it had been awhile since my last sourdough recipe I decided now was the time. The hard part was choosing a recipe because like I said there were tons of them including banana butterscotch walnut sourdough scones, and sourdough brownies?! Who knew?
In the end I went with the blueberry muffins because with spring finally creeping back into out lives I was in desperate need of some fruit. And it also gave me an excuse to finally buy a jumbo sized muffin pan. I could have just used a regular muffing pan (and you can too of course) but when you can have a jumbo one, why not? Especially when they are as good as these. The sourdough flavor was complemented by the sweet blueberries and the hint of lemon was perfect. I bet these would also be good with a crumble topping or even a simple sprinkle of coarse sugar before going into the oven.
Of course now that I have my sourdough starter happily bubbling along, I guess that means I will be whipping up some more sourdough things so stay tuned! And be sure to check out Turnips 2 Tangerines for other great recipes including some non-sourdough ones such as lemon tart with meringue cookies, stuffed mini peppers, and Hawaiian pork sliders.
One year ago: Whole Wheat Scone for One
Three years ago: Banana Bread French Toast
Four years ago: Sweet Potato Fries
SOURDOUGH BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
Makes 6 jumbo or 12 regular
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup fed sourdough starter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1-1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (unthawed)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 6-cavity jumbo muffin pan (or a regular 12-cavity pan).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together starter, oil, water, egg, brown sugar and lemon zest. Add the flour mixture a little at a time until just combined, do not overmix. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden on top and springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Turnips 2 Tangerines