Salad?!? When was the last time I posted a recipe for a salad? There was a small salad served alongside the mini Greek meatloaves I shared in early May, but before that it was the roasted butternut salad in January (which blew my mind). But I keep telling myself I need make salads more often and in an effort to eat more greens I made this salad topped with taco-seasoned grilled chicken and all sorts of good taco-salad-esque things – even quesadilla strips. You can barely find the leafy greens under all of that but hey, it’s still a salad right?
Two years ago: Zucchini Bread
CHICKEN TACO SALAD WITH QUESADILLA STRIPS
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 lime, juiced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp taco seasoning
2 whole wheat tortillas
4 oz. monterey jack cheese, freshly grated
2 Tbsp prepared ranch dressing
2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt (I used 0% plain Chobani)
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups lettuce, chopped (I used a spring mix)
1 avocado, chopped
2/3 cup sweet corn
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
1/4 red onion, diced
- The night before (or a few hours before) add chicken to a large ziplock bag or baking dish and cover with olive oil and lime juice, then add in garlic. Marinate in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
- When ready to make the salads, whisk together the dressing in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-heat heat and add a little olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with taco seasoning, sear both sides then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until chicken is cooked through (you can bake or grill the chicken if desired). Once chicken is finished, let cool for a few minutes and then cut into strips.
- While the chicken is cooling, add a little olive oil or butter if needed to the same skillet and add a tortilla, then top with grated cheese and the second tortilla on top. Cook until both sides are golden and cheese is melted, then remove from the skillet and slice into strips.
- To make the salads, combine lettuce, avocado, corn, tomatoes and onion in a large bowl, then separate on to plates or bowls. Top with chicken and quesadilla slices, then drizzle with dressing.