Roasted veggies are the best – so I mixed up a whole bunch of them, added crispy chickpeas, and drizzled the whole thing with a lemon tahini dressing.
There’s a restaurant in Columbus called Brassica which serves up Mediterranean inspired pita sandwiches, salads, and bowls in an assembly line style made popular by Chipotle. It seems that there are tons of these types of restaurants these days but Brassica is one of my favorites, and after a recent visit I decided to try my hand at making something similar at home. Because that’s how I roll.
I present to you, a bowl full of roasted vegetables topped with crispy chickpeas and a lemon-tahini dressing. It never ceases to impress me how something so simple can be so incredibly delicious and make me forget I’m not eating meat. There’s cauliflower, broccoli, eggplant, sweet potato, carrot, and red onion all mixed up in there and they are served over a bed of kale and lentils or rice (or both if you’re me).
The crispy chickpeas on top add great texture and flavor to the dish. This was actually my first time roasting them on the stove top and I think I actually prefer it to the oven, especially when I need the oven space to cook other things like the veggies in this particular situation. You could definitely make a huge batch of these crispy chickpeas in advance and store them until needed.
The best thing about these bowls is that you can easily customize them with whatever veggies you prefer. You could also add a dollop of hummus and serve it with warm pita. I actually added a little bit of Cleveland Kraut Beet Red kraut on top of mine because why not? And it’s so pretty!
Two years ago: Lemon-Lime Pistachio Bars
Three years ago: Octoweenie-Mac and Cheese Bagel Bites
Three years ago: Homemade Garbage Plates
Four years ago: Baked Oatmeal with Blackberries and Bananas
Five years ago: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
ROASTED VEGGIE BOWL WITH LEMON TAHINI DRESSING
1/2 head cauliflower, florets chopped
1/2 head broccoli, florets chopped
1 eggplant, peeled and chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup tahini
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh chopped parsley
Lentils or rice
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place veggies on two large baking sheets lined with foil. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss until coated.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, stir, return them to the oven (alternating racks), and roast for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until tender and browned on the edges.
- While the veggies are roasting, make the lemon tahini dressing. Add all ingredients to a blender, blend until smooth, and then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chickpeas and season with smoked paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about five minutes, or until slightly crispy. Remove from the heat.
- To assemble, place roasted veggies over a bed of kale and lentils (or rice), top with spiced chickpeas, and parsley. Drizzle the dressing over top, and toss to combine.
Source: Adapted from Chicho’s Kitchen.