I have been all about the quick and easy meals this week. Last night was no exception, especially after allowing myself to be tortured by my Wednesday-night workout “Core & More”. Didn’t end up going to spin after that this week. All I wanted was food in my belly and to not move for as long as possible. Which worked out quite well. I whipped this up and dinner was served and digesting before I knew it. Although I was tempted to slather some ranch dressing on it, I resisted because it was excellent without! Then I curled up in a blanket with the current book I am reading (Drangonfly in Amber from the Outlander series), until Brent was online and able to video chat. Apparently he is upset I made homemade Tagalongs (a sweet he will actually eat a lot of) while he is out of the country. I wanted to say “that’s what you get for going to Costa Rica/Panama for two weeks without me”, but caved and admitted I was saving some for his return. I’m too nice. But back to the current food item…
Head over to Kevin & Amanda for step-by-step pictures.
4 medium-sized whole-wheat tortilla shells
1 lb chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup scallions, diced
8 strips of bacon, cooked & crumbled
1 avocado, diced
Mexican cheese blend cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp butter
- Arrange bacon on a cooling rack (like for cookies) and set it on top of sheet pan. If you don’t have a cooling rack, you can just put the bacon straight on the sheet pan. Or in a 9×13 baking dish. Either way will work. Place bacon in a cold oven, turn heat to 400, and cook 15 mins per side.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp bacon drippings to a skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions and saute about 2-3 mins until softened.
- Add the chicken in a single layer, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 mins or until chicken is golden and cooked through, flipping just once during cooking. Remove the chicken and scallions to a plate and rinse out the skillet.
- Add about 1/2 Tbsp butter to the skillet over medium heat. When foamy, add a tortilla and swirl it around to get it nice and buttery. Layer one side of the tortilla with chicken, bacon, avocado, and a little cheese. Use tongs to flip the other half of the tortilla over and press down. Cook the tortilla for about 1-2 mins on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Repeat with the rest of the tortillas, adding a little more butter for each tortilla as needed. Eat & enjoy!
- Makes 4 quesadillas.
Source: Kevin & Amanda