Why make individual shortcakes when you could make this gorgeous lemon strawberry shortcake cake, topped with lemon pudding, fresh strawberries, and whipped topping.
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I have had this recipe in my recipe box for about 15 years now, so it seemed high time for me to share it. I’m not entirely sure why it didn’t occur to me until now. Likely because it’s not my own creation, but I did add a little spin to it.
Normally this giant shortcake cake it layered with vanilla pudding, strawberries, and whipped topping. But instead of vanilla pudding I used lemon! It’s just a little change but I it’s better than the original. Besides, shortcake is an iconic summer dessert and lemon just makes sense.
This cake is comprised of one large shortcake biscuit, cut into two layers, and piled with strawberries, lemon pudding, whipped topping, and more strawberries. Similar to a classic shortcake, but leveled up. And believe it or not, all you need is seven ingredients.
Shortcake Cake Ingredients:
- Sour cream
- All-purpose baking mix
- Lemon flavored instant pudding
- Frozen whipped topping
- Fresh strawberries
While I am partial to the classic strawberry, I bet this would be great with other flavored puddings and fruit. What about raspberry? Or lime and blueberry?! How would you make it?
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1-1/4 cups cold milk, divided
- 1/3 + 3 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) lemon flavored instant pudding
- 1 tub (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Heat oven to 425°F. Coat 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sour cream, 1/2 cup milk, and 3 tablespoons sugar until blended. Add baking mix and stir just until moistened. Spread into prepared pan and bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss strawberries with 1/3 cup sugar.
- In another medium bowl, whisk pudding mix and remaining milk for 2 minutes. Stir in half the whipped topping until incorporated
- Cut cake horizontally in half. Place bottom layer on plate, top with half the strawberries and all the pudding mixture. Place top cake half on top and garnish remaining whipped topping and strawberries. Serve immediately.
Source: Adapted slightly from My Food and Family.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see! Tag @THESPIFFYCOOKIE on Instagram and hashtag it #THESPIFFYCOOKIE
Other Shortcake Recipes:
- Corn Fritter Shortcakes with Maple Whipped Cream
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes with Amaretto Cream
- Meyer Lemon Shortcakes with Meyer Lemon Curd
- No-Bake Coconut Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Lasagna
- Red, White & Berry Shortcakes
- Strawberry Basil Shortcakes with Chocolate Balsamic Drizzle
- Strawberry Shortcake Cobbler