Love Buffalo chicken? Try this vegan buffalo chicken sandwich made with seitan, topped with broccoli slaw and vegan Ranch.
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I feel like I finally won the battle of Ranch versus Blue Cheese when it comes to Buffalo chicken, solely based upon the fact that it’s a lot easier to make vegan Ranch than it is vegan Blue Cheese. That’s it, that’s my only piece of evidence.
Personally, I think the flavor combo of Buffalo and Ranch is superior to Blue Cheese. Don’t get me wrong, I love blue cheese, just not with Buffalo sauce. I may have grown up in Western NY and several friends will scoff at me but it is what it is. Blame it on me being born in Texas or something, IDK.
While today is technically National Fried Chicken Day, I faked you out with this vegan version. Honestly, I love fried seitan just as much as fried chicken, especially when served in a sandwich. But if you prefer fowl options, check out that other bloggers shared today, listed below:
- Cánh Gà Chiên Nước Mắm (Vietnamese Fried Chicken Wings by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Copycat Canes Chicken and Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Dirty Fried Chicken by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Korean Fried Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Thai Fried Chicken Wings With Red Fiery Sauce by Sneha’s Recipe
Two years ago: Berry Lavender Cupcakes
Six years ago: Strawberry Avocado Salad with Pistachio-Crusted Goat Cheese
Seven years ago: Gluten-Free Cherry-Berry Galette
Eight years ago: Single Serving Oven-Fried Onion Rings
Ten years ago: Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
Eleven years ago: Italian Herb & Cheese Fettucine
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1-1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
VEGAN BUFFALO SAUCE
- 3/4 cup hot pepper sauce (like Frank's RedHot)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- Salt, to taste
VEGAN RANCH SLAW
- 1/4 cup vegan Ranch dressing
- 1 cup shredded slaw blend
- 4 toasted brioche rolls
- In a large bowl whisk together vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, garlic, paprika, and salt. Add water and stir until a ball forms. Transfer to a clean surface and knead for about 5 minutes, or until dough comes together and is elastic. Cut into 4 pieces and form into chicken breast shapes. Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- In a large pot, add the broth, vinegar, and liquid smoke. Place over high heat until boiling, then lower to a simmer. Carefully place the seitan into the broth, ensuring it is covered by the broth (if not, transfer to a smaller pot). Partially cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from pot and let cool enough to touch.
- Meanwhile in a small pot, combine hot sauce, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, garlic powder, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat while stirring frequently with a whisk. As soon as the liquid begins to bubble on the sides of the pot, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet and spray the rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place breadcrumbs in a wide, shallow dish. In a second shallow dish, mix the flour, cayenne powder, and season with salt and pepper. Finally, add the dairy-milk to a third dish.
- Pat the seitan dry. Dip in the flour, then the milk, and finally the Panko mixture. Press the Panko onto the chicken to completely coat. Transfer to the prepared wire rack.
- Brush the tops of the chicken with Buffalo sauce, flip and brush the other side. Transfer to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the slaw and Ranch dressing.
- Assemble sandwich by spreading more Buffalo sauce on the bottom bun, place one piece of seitan on top, followed by coleslaw, more Ranch is desired, and top bun. Serve immediately.