Get ready for cookies and scream this Halloween with these dark chocolate cookie bars with white chocolate chips and creepy eyes.
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh M&M’s you get me with your puns, cookies and scream (or screeem in this case)! While a chocolate cookie with white chocolate chips is nothing new, these dark chocolate cookie bars are made festive by the addition of these dark and white chocolate M&M candies.
And then I threw on some spooky eye sprinkles for good measure.
As for Halloween festivities, other than putting up decor in and around the house I can’t remember the last time I attended a Halloween party or even dressed up. We also live on a street that’s a bit hidden so we don’t get any trick-or-treaters either.
Halloween used to be my favorite holiday but other than baking these treats I seem to have lost my fervor for it. Is this a sign of getting old?
One year ago: Weekly Meal Plan #36
Two years ago: White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Cookie Bars
Three years ago: Chocolate Candy Corn & Creme Cookies
Four years ago: Halloween 7-Layer Bars
Five years ago: Pumpkin Oreo Truffles
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp chocolate extract (or more vanilla)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup (8 oz. bag) M&M's Halloween Cookies & Screeem Dark and White Chocolate Candies (or more chips)
- Festive sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper with overhang.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat melted butter and sugar together until creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and M&MS. Dough will be thick and sticky.
- Spread cookie dough evenly in the prepared pan. Top with festive sprinkles if desired. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
Source: Adapted from my Funfetti Stuffed Chocolate M&M Cookie Cake.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see!
Tag @THESPIFFYCOOKIE on Instagram and hashtag it #THESPIFFYCOOKIE
[…] 23. Dark chocolate cookies and monster bars […]
Made these yesterday – didn’t have dark cocoa so ours are a bit lighter, but they look and taste great!
Awesome! Yea, can definitely make with regular cocoa, but slightly different color and flavor.
Where did you get the sprinkles??
I’m not 100% sure as it was 4 years ago, but I usually get my sprinkles from Giant Eagle, Kroger, or Michael’s
I just love everything about these. Showed them to my five year old and she went nuts over it. Guess I’m making them now! Thanks for the inspiration!!!!
Haha at least you can make them with discount ingredients now that Halloween is over!
These are so LOVABLE! OMG. And if you’re getting old I am too so at least we can have each other’s elderly company along with these sweet homemade treats :-)
Sounds like a plan
Erin, you are not getting old, just saner and more grown up. I don’t like anything intended to be creepy, so I stay away from everything Halloween, although these cookie bars would be great without the eyeballs. We usually don’t have too many kids on Halloween, even though we live right across from what is now mixed housing (used to be low income). But we always have a big bag of candy, that lasts us more than a year…
The googly eyes! ???? Obsessed!