It’s almost that time of year again… college football season is nearly upon us! And you know what that means right? Here on The Spiffy Cookie at least it means the reinstatement of Peanut Butter & Chocolate Saturdays! Be sure to follow along all season with #PBChocSat and of course check in here every Saturday for a weekly buckeye-inspired treat.
In case you were unaware, the mascot of Ohio State (and my alma mater) is the buckeye nut which is the inspiration for the truffle/candy version aka peanut butter balls in other regions of the US (silly people calling them by the wrong name). Every year I make a big batch of buckeyes and stash them in my freezer, ready for every game day. I’ve even made a healthier version if you are so inclined. But I also like to change things up and create other peanut butter and chocolate treats as you either already know or will soon become aware.
Can you believe summer is coming to a close and college football is gearing up in just one week!? Ohio Stae’s first game is actually on labor day but that won’t stop me from watching all the games on Saturday as well. To warm up for the occasion, I have rounded up my top 10 favorite peanut butter and chocolate recipes of all time. You have no idea how difficult it was to narrow down this list to just 10. In the past I saved myself the trouble by simply listing every single recipe to date in an all inclusive roundup but that would be a bit expansive these days so instead I tried to pick my favorite recipe in each general dessert category. I have some lofty expectations to meet if I am to compare any of this upcoming seasons creations to this list. Just imagine the possibilities!
1. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Lasagna – You all know how much I love making dessert lasagnas, but none with compare to the first! Dangerously decadent.
2. Peanut Butter Fudge Brownie Bricks – An oldie but a goodie. Just look at that mammoth layer of peanut butter on top of the brownies! They certainly earn the name “bricks”.
3. Peanut Butter-Chocolate Molten Lava Cake – Imagine unbaked peanut butter cheesecake inside of a chocolate cake. I thought that you get your attention!
4. Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cake – My coworkers deemed this cake as one of the best things I’ve ever made and they still talk about it. Can’t say I blame them.
5. Malted Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chip Cookies – One of my favorite cookie recipes I’ve made on the blog overall, yet somehow have not added malt powder to any cookies since. I feel one coming on the horizon.
6. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Dough Dip – You mean not only can cookie dough egg free but it can be scooped up as a dip? I don’t know what you’re waiting for but I’m diving in.
7. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookie Cake – Best cookie cake ever. This is basically my idea of a perfect cookie but in jumbo form – chewy, thick, and loaded with peanut butter and Reese’s.
8. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream – Even though the leaves are going to start changing color, that doesn’t stop me from craving ice cream. So why not some peanut butter cup ice cream?
9. Chocolate Peanut Butter 7-Layer Bars – Hello Dolly aka 7-layer bars trade in the usual suspects for Reese’s pieces, peanut butter cups, peanuts, peanut butter & chocolate chips, and a chocolate graham cracker crust.
10. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispies Treats – Horrible awful photo from my earlier years, but that doesn’t take away from their flavor. If you thought rice krispies treats were addicting already, you should try them with peanut butter cups.
BONUS: Peanut Butter Burgers with Slim Jim Fries and Chocolate Malted Milkshakes – Surprise! I decided to throw in this more savory option in case you were feeling a bit overloaded with sugar. I was skeptical at first but after my first bite I was in love. Especially paired with a malted chocolate milkshake! Sorry I couldn’t resist more sugar…
One year ago: Nutty Edamame Dip
Two years ago: Gnocchi, Sweet Corn & Arugula in Cream Sauce
Three years ago: Reese’s Peanut Butter Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie
Four years ago: Almond Berry Overnight Slow Cooker Oatmeal