In case Devil’s Food isn’t rich enough for you, try Devil’s Food Nutella Cake. Soaked in a sweetened condensed milk-Nutella mixture, dolloped with whipped toping, and finished with more chocolate.
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to the second post, but first recipe post on this here blog of mine!
The other day Brandi informed me of a Nutella cake that she had made for our friend Shelley’s birthday, knowing my love for Nutella. Her added description of combining the deliciousness that is Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread with sweetened condensed milk and then pouring the mixture over the cake (and as a result seeps into it) solidified the need to try it for myself ASAP! Conveniently my coworker Kathy’s birthday was coming up in a couple of days. Perfect!
Fast forward 11 years and I am still making this cake, most recently for a Matrix Movie marathon. This cake might not look as elegant as the orgasm chocolate cake in the movie but the effect was the same. I may have recorded a video of a friend taking her first bite. Granted, she is a chocolate cake fiend so you could argue that it was a set up, but if you also love chocolate cake then I bet you’ll have the same reaction.
- Follow the directions on the back of the cake mix, but only use half of the oil called for*. Bake as directed for a greased bundt pan.
- Let cake cool completely before inverting onto a wire rack. Using a chopstick of the end of a slender wooden spoon, poke holes all over the top of the cake. Be sure not to poke all the way through the cake. Set aside.
- To a medium sauce pan, add the sweetened condensed milk and Nutella. Set over low heat and stir until just blended and heated through. Immediately pour mixture over the cake**. Sprinkle half of the crushed candy bars on top and let set for 30 mins***.
- Just before serving, transfer to a serving plate, top with thawed frozen whipped topping, and sprinkle with remaining crushed candy bar.
* If you use the full amount, it will make the cake more dense and soggy after the addition of the sweetened condensed milk-Nutella mixture. **You can scrape up any excess that drips off and pour over the top again. ***At this point you can store in the fridge overnight or proceed.
Post updated 12/15/21, photos above and below are the originals.