Turn your insides out in a good way with these inside out buckeyes – chocolate on the inside and peanut butter on the outside.
After a hellish work week it’s finally Saturday and of course #PBchocSat! Last week the Buckeyes had a bye which hopefully helped the recover from that embarrassing loss to Purdue, but I did say I thought they would be tougher than people were saying, I just didn’t think it would be that bad. Today, Nebraska shouldn’t be too much of a challenge but I hesitate saying that considering the Purdue game. So I will hold my breath like usual until we have at least a 2 possession lead (here’s hoping we are in the lead in general). This is the second to last home game of the season, the last being Michigan which definitely won’t be an easy game.
Due to my insides being in knots, I thought it fitting to make inside out buckeyes. Instead of peanut butter, I used chocolate hazelnut spread for the filling, and then instead of dipping them into melted chocolate I used melted peanut butter chips. I’ve combined the magical powers of these two flavors before and it was a glorious creation, and this recipe is no exception. Although I almost made “black out” buckeyes since they will be wearing all black jerseys for the game today. Maybe next year, since they usually do that one game a year.
Five years ago: Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas
Six years ago: Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake
INSIDE OUT BUCKEYES
Makes approximately 8 dozen
1-1/2 cups chocolate hazelnut spread
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
12 oz. peanut butter chips
2 Tbsp shortening
- Line two baking sheets with waxed paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix chocolate hazelnut spread, butter, and vanilla. Add confectioners’ sugar one cup at a time to reach desired consistency, then use hands to form a smooth dough.
- Shape into balls using 2 teaspoons of dough for each ball. Place on prepared pan, insert a wooden toothpick, and place in the freezer.
- Melt peanut butter and shortening together in a metal bowl over a pan of lightly simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth, and remove from heat.
- Remove balls from freezer. Dip into melted peanut butter coating, leaving a small circle uncovered at the base of the toothpick. Return to wax paper, chocolate side down. Repeat with remaining balls.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. Remove toothpicks and if desired carefully smudge the holes left behind with fingertip.
Source: Adapted from my Buckeye Candies.