Step aside traditional grilled cheese, this BBQ Mac & Cheese Sandwich means business. With chipotle cheddar, BBQ chicken, and mac & cheese between two slices of Texas toast.
Not only is April Grilled Cheese Month but today is Grilled Cheese Day! Seems a bit overkill to have a day within the same month in which is it celebrated but I will never complain about any excuse to have cheese.
I decided to match the intensity of a double holiday with a loaded grilled cheese sandwich inspired by “The Mempho” from a restaurant in Memphis called Patrick’s. Since I moved, I sometimes go through Memphis-food withdrawal and now you get to reap the benefits of my recreation attempts.
This trip down taste-bud-memory lane involves a grilled cheese sandwich with pulled BBQ pork, Swiss cheese, mac and cheese, and caramelized onions all sandwiched between two slices of Texas-style bread. Using my slow cooker BBQ recipe, I made mine with pulled BBQ chicken (cooked with onion in it), chipotle cheddar cheese, and garlic butter Texas toast instead! And of course since that isn’t enough there’s still plenty of mac and cheese sandwiched in there as well.
The recipe makes one sandwich (it is Single Serving Sunday after all) but I trust your math skills are sufficient enough to make more if needed.
Get Your Grilled Cheese On!
- Bacon Tomato Grilled Cheese from Palatable Pastime
- Brie and Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich from That Recipe
- Chicken Parm Grilled Cheese from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chili Crisp Grilled Cheese from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Grilled Ham and Cheese from Art of Natural Living
- Hatch Chili Potato Grilled Cheese from Magical Ingredients
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese from Jen Around the World
Two years ago: Baked Peanut Butter Cup Banana Pancakes
Three years ago: Cake Batter Puppy Chow
Four years ago: Homemade Olive Garden Salad and Dressing
- Preheat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Place one slice of bread onto skillet, add 1 slice of cheese, followed by macaroni, meat, and another slice of cheese. Top with a second slice of bread.
- Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve immediately.