These 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches are tender and juicy. Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce and sides.
I love root beer. It is my #1 most favorite drink of all time. Want proof? I’ve been collecting root beer of all different kinds since the 6th grade! Is that impressive or weird?
I originally got the idea to collect root beer from my Dad, who collects sand wherever he goes. It’s really amazing how different sand can look from different places of the world. The same goes for root beer.
People often ask me whether there is any difference between the different types of root beer I have tried. First let me ask you this – do you prefer Pepsi or Coke? If you think there is a difference between those two colas then trust me, the range of flavor for root beer is even greater.
I have had some root beers that are amazing and wish I had a secret life-time stash of, whereas others (although few) I would object to pouring them straight down the drain.
Despite my ridiculous love for root beer, I tend to prefer it in it’s natural state – I don’t like root beer floats or candy. But when I saw a recipe for this slow cooker BBQ root beer pulled pork, I knew I had to try it. Bonus points because it only requires 3 ingredients (plus the buns).
3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
- Root Beer
- BBQ Sauce
Although I could not really taste the root beer in the named root beer pulled pork, I know it had something to do with how moist, juicy and flavorful the pork turned out – and it was so easy!
What does root beer do to meat?
If you can’t taste it then what’s the point of using root beer? Fun fact: the acidity levels in root beer will tenderize most red meat and, in this case, pork.
I bet you could also make instant pot pulled pork with root beer as well. Whichever method you prefer, this root beer pulled pork is great served with roasted potato salad , apple slaw, or better yet root beer baked beans. Why not complete the meal with a slice of chocolate root beer bundt cake?
Want more ways to serve root beer pulled pork?
Slow Cooking Recipes
- Asian Style Beef Short Ribs from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Buffalo Chicken Dip from That Recipe
- Cajun 15 Bean Soup (Crockpot) from Art of Natural Living
- Chicken Pho (Slow Cooker) from Palatable Pastime
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Potatoes from Jen Around the World
- Healthy Crockpot Balsamic Italian Lentil Soup from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Pork Spring Rolls with Spicy Plum Dipping Sauce from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker Asian Pork from Hezzi-D’s Recipe Box
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup from Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow Cooker Dal Makhni from Magical Ingredients
- 2-3 lb. pork tenderloin, shoulder, or butt*
- 12 oz. can or bottle of root beer
- 18 oz. bottle of barbecue sauce
- 8 hamburger buns
- Place the pork tenderloin in a 2-3 quart slow cooker and pour root beer over the meat**. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until pork shreds easily with a fork.
- When pork is done, remove to a cutting board and discard the root beer. Shred the pork and place it back in the slow cooker set to warm. Pour the barbecue sauce over the pork and stir to combine. Serve immediately or cover in slow cooker until ready to serve. Serve on toasted hamburger buns with preferred sides.
*Preferably boneless. **If it doesn't cover, add more root beer, chicken broth, or water.
Source: Adapted slightly from The Girl Who Ate Everything.