Did you know that root beer pairs very well with chocolate? The proof is evident in this bundt cake.
Head on over to Steph’s Bite by Bite for my guest post today! (Update: her blog is no longer active so I have copied the post below.)
Hey there, my name is Erin and I traveled all the way here from The Spiffy Cookie! In case you didn’t know, Steph is off enjoying her new title as a Mrs. – be sure to send her and Lucas many congrats! But that also meant that she needed help keeping her amazing readers entertained during her absence. I definitely wanted to help her out, so I will be sharing a goodie of mine with you fine folks today.
One of the things you should know about me is that I am a root beer-aholic. I even have a collection of many different types of root beer that comes in the glass bottles. I love drinking the bubbly deliciousness, but I have also recently enjoyed incorporating it into pulled pork. However, I’m not a big fan of root beer flavored desserts. The candies definitely are my least favorite (take notes).
So why am I saying this when I am obviously going to tell you about a root beer cake? Because, I took a risk and ended up being more than pleasantly surprised. More like my eyes popped out it was so good. Apparently all I had to do to enjoy a root beer dessert was mix it up with some chocolate. I think it also helped that this recipe used real root beer and not extract. Even the icing was made with root beer. It’s basically a root beer float make with chocolate ice cream, but it’s a bundt cake – a moist, wonderful, delicious, chocolate root beer bundt cake!
…that I also ate for breakfast…
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2-1/2 cups root beer
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1-1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp salt, plus a pinch
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan; tap out the excess flour.
- Heat 2 cups root beer, the cocoa powder, chocolate and 1 stick butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until the butter melts. Add the granulated and brown sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Combine 2 cups flour, the baking soda, allspice and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Whisk the eggs into the root beer mixture, then gently fold in the dry ingredients (the batter will be slightly lumpy).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, 55 minutes to 1 hour, rotating the pan halfway through. Transfer to a rack. Gently poke the cake all over with a skewer and pour 1/4 cup root beer over the cake; let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert the cake onto a serving plate and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup root beer, a pinch of salt, the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the cake.
Source: Adapted from Food Network.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see!
Tag @THESPIFFYCOOKIE on Instagram and hashtag it #THESPIFFYCOOKIE
YES PLEASE!!! I want these NOW :)
I’ll take a huge slice, please:-)
I’m not really the biggest root beer fan but I think I could love it in this cake. Off to check it out!
Heading over to check it out. Looks AMAZING! :)
Sinfully rich…it is calling my name, over to steph’s blog now. Yum!
OMG, that looks good. Heading over to Steph’s to check out the recipe!