Grilled cheese is the perfect pair with tomato soup. But what cheese are you using? Be bold and try a blend of three!
Is there ever any doubt that the perfect sandwich to pair with tomato soup is grilled cheese? Surely there is not! Which is why when I made the Creamy Tomato Basil Bisque this sandwich was a necessity.
The only dilemma I ran in to, was deciding on which cheese to use. There are so many delicious options and combinations! Smoked gouda is a frequent pick.
The first time I posted this recipe I went with a three-cheese party including asiago, sharp white cheddar, and fontina. When I updated this post 9 years later I went with provolone, smoked gouda, and smoked sharp cheddar. I’ve also added cream cheese before (obviously not shredded) for the ultimate creamy factor!
What cheeses are on your perfect grilled cheese sandwich?
Post updated 10/20/20, photo above is the original.
2 slices of preferred bread
1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
3/4 cup shredded cheese (1/4 cup each of 3 types)
Olive oil or butter
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat one side each slice of bread with olive oil using a pastry brush (or butter with a knife).
- If using, spread mustard on the opposite side of one slice of bread. Distribute the cheese evenly over the mustard, and season with fresh black pepper and top with the second piece of bread, oil/butter side out.
- Place the sandwich in the hot pan and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until browned. Carefully flip over, and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool for a couple minutes, then slice and serve!
Source: Adapted from Alton Brown