World Nutella Day is probably my second favorite food holiday next to Peanut Butter Day. If there was a holiday celebrating their union together I would be there rejoicing. That being said, you would think I was setting up the intro to a peanut butter and Nutella recipe but no, today is all about Nutella. Well, pecans and Nutella.
These bars taste just like pecan pie but have a bit of Nutella smeared in them for some extra flavorful fun. Topped with some vanilla ice cream and I’m ready to dig in! How will you be celebrating World Nutella Day?
Sara from Ms. Adventures in Italy and Michelle from Bleeding Espresso solemnly declare February 5th “World Nutella Day 2013″ – a day to celebrate, to get creative with, and most importantly, to EAT Nutella.
Other Nutella recipes you might enjoy:
- Amaretto Chocolate Cheesecake
- Banana Ice Cream Nutella Sandwiches
- Brownie Fruit Pizza
- Homemade Hazelnut Chocolate Spread (Nutella)
- Nutella Chunk Cookies
- Nutella Cream Cheese Swirl Heart Brownies
- Nutella Fruit Dip
- Nutella Mousse
- Nutella Rice Krispies Treats
- Nutella Smoothie
- Nutella Swirled Banana Bread Snack Cake
- Nutella Waffles with Raspberry Syrup
- Peanut Butter, Banana & Nutella Bars
- Pumpkin Nutella Mini Cheesecake Bites
- Salted Nutella Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
- Strawberry Nutella Bread Pudding
One year ago: Nutella Chunk Cookies
Two years ago: Nutella Rice Krispies Treats
NUTELLA PECAN PIE BARS
Makes 24 bars
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cups light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread, such as Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- For the crust, mix together the flour, butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Press into the baking pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown.
- For the filling, melt butter in a metal bowl set in a skillet of water that is just below a simmer (or use a double boiler). Remove the bowl and from the water when butter is melted, whisk in sugar and salt. Whisk in eggs, corn syrup and vanilla. Place bowl back into the water and whisk until hot and the temperature of the mixture registers 130 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the heat and whisk in pecan pieces.
- Into the bottom of the pre-baked crust, smear the 1/2 cup of Nutella over the bottom evenly. Pour filling evenly over the baked crust and bake for 25-30 minutes or until set.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cool completely and cut into bars. Store in an airtight container at room temperature (or in the refrigerator if you live in a warm/humid area with no air conditioning).