These double chocolate thumbprint cookies can be dressed up one of two ways: drizzle with chocolate and a sprinkle of sea salt for a showstopper, or simply use two yellow sprinkles to make Jawa cookies!
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the tale of two double chocolate thumbprint cookies.
I turned chocolate cheesecake cookies into thumbprint cookies by adding a chocolate ganache filling. Drizzled with some more chocolate and a sprinkle of sea salt and you have a beautifully delicious cookie. For real they are quite addicting and that means a lot from someone who doesn’t normally gravitate towards solid chocolate desserts. It must be the cream cheese…
But it’s Star Wars Day so I actually went a different route for decorating these double chocolate thumbprint cookies!
To make these double chocolate thumbprint cookies look like little Jawas, I used round yellow sprinkles to resemble their glowing eyes hidden under their hoods and just loved how simple they were to put together.
“These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.”
More Star Wars-Inspired Recipe to Pair with Jawa Cookies:
- Baby Yoda Cocktail
- Baked Lightsaber Churros
- Blue Milk Smoothie
- Blueberry Cinnamon Roll Turkey Burgers
- Ham, Egg & Cheese Pancake Sandwiches
- Star Wars Rebel Alliance Chocolate Strawberry Sandwich Cookies
- White Chocolate Cinnamon Cookie Sandwiches (AKA Wookiee Pies)
One year ago: Baked Lightsaber Churros
Three years ago: Blueberry Cinnamon Roll Turkey Burgers
Five years ago: Sausage, Egg & Cheese Kolache
Six years ago: Blue Milk Smoothie
Seven years ago: Boozy Margarita Smoothies
Eight years ago: Berry Cacao Nib Scone Cakes
Nine years ago: Peanut Butter Birthday Bites
Ten years ago: Birthday Overload Pancakes
Eleven years ago: Funfettinutter Cupcakes for Two
Twelve years ago: Peanut Butter Cup S’mores Ice Cream
CHOCOLATE GANACHE FILLING
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 4.5 oz. (2/3 cup) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Round yellow sprinkles*, optional
CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE COOKIES
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2-1/4 tsp baking powder
- For the ganache, place chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat the cream in the microwave for 1 minute or just until it starts to boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer or large bowl with electric hand mixer, mix cookie ingredients in order until fully incorporated. Cover and chill dough in refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper; set aside.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls (I used a medium cookie scoop). Place on prepared cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Immediately after removing from oven, press an indentation into the center of each cookie Be careful not to push all the way through the cookie. Spoon half a teaspoon of ganache into each indentation*. Let cool slightly before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Best served the same day. Store leftovers layered between wax paper in an air-tight container.
*If you want to decorate the cookie to resemble a Jawa, place two round yellow sprinkles in the center third as their eyes shining out from under their hood.