This refreshing and flavorful watermelon cucumber salad is the perfect side dish for BBQ and grilling all summer long.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BBQWeek. The sponsors, Rainier Foods and Intensity Academy, generously provided samples to participants to aid in the creation of the #BBQWeek recipes and prize packages to give away to the readers. However, all opinions are mine alone.
This salad might be the culmination of things my husband dislikes – watermelon and cucumber. Unfortunately for him, watermelon has no flavor (it’s predicted to be genetically linked). The same goes for cucumber but he’s all about pickles, and pickled anything for that matter, so while he was a good sport and tried a little bit this salad was essentially just for me.
The first time I had this salad was at a restaurant called MELT Bar and Grilled in Ohio specilaizing in over-the-top grille cheese. On one visit sampling their spring menu, I was introduced to their watermelon salad. Not something I would normally order but hot damn it was my favorite this of the day.
Watermelon Cucumber Salad Ingredients:
- Lemon poppy seed dressing
- Seedless watermelon
- Cherry tomatoes
- English cucumber
- Crumbled feta
- Red onion
- Rainier Foods Blackberry Smoky Honey Seasoning & Rub. for a little extra depth of flavor
Fast forward to #BBQweek and I knew I had to recreate it as a side for my smoked burgers. This simple salad is easy to put together and is a light and refreshing side dish for any summer cookout.
If you’re looking for more ideas, check the list below and don’t forget to enter the giveaway using the widget located at the bottom of this post.
Wednesday #BBQWeek Recipes
Starters and Sides
- Cowboy Caviar from The Freshman Cook
- Garlic and Lime Grilled Corn from Jen Around the World
- Grilled Garlic Honey Boneless Wings from Blogghetti
- Marinated Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoky Blackberry Grilled Fruit Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sweet and Smoky Jalapeno Poppers from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Asian Ribs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Blackberry Honey Grilled Salmon from Sweet Beginnings
- Grilled Buttermilk Chicken from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Grilled Chicken Caprese from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Honey Vinaigrette from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- No Churn Thai Tea Ice Cream from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats from Art of Natural Living
Two years ago: Smoked BBQ Brisket
Six years ago: Dark Chocolate Cookie Butter Cupcakes
Seven years ago: Fig, Goat cheese, and Kielbasa Sausage Pizza
Eight years ago: Homemade Strawberry (Vodka) Lemonade
Ten years ago: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola
Eleven years ago: Raspberry Mango Margarita Pie
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp black poppy seeds
- 1 tsp Rainier Blackberry Smoky Honey Seasoning & Rub (optional)
WATERMELON CUCUMBER SALAD
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups seedless watermelon cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced and quartered English cucumber (about 1/2 of one)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- In a small bowl or jar with a lid, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, lemon juice, and mustard and whisk/shake until emulsified. Season to taste with salt. Stir in poppy seeds and seasoning (if using). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss all the salad ingredients. Drizzle dressing over the mixture and lightly toss. Season to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see! Tag @THESPIFFYCOOKIE on Instagram and hashtag it #THESPIFFYCOOKIEa Rafflecopter giveaway
DISCLAIMER: Thank you #BBQWeek sponsors Saucy Queen and Rainier Foods for donating the prizes for this event. The #BBQWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner are checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning.
Two (2) winners are selected at random from entries received. The prize packages are fulfilled by and sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. #BBQWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household are not eligible to enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #BBQWeek posts or entries.