Change up your potato salad game with a little Mediterranean flavor. This creamy lemon potato salad is the perfect side to your summer cookouts!
I am sure you are wondering why I didn’t share this sooner so that you could have had it at your Fourth of July cookouts yesterday or over the weekend. But I didn’t make this until yesterday for the cookout at which I attended and thus am sharing it today. Sometimes food bloggers actually celebrate holidays on the actual day. Shocking I know.
That being said, thankfully summer is still in full swing so there’s still plenty of time to whip up this potato salad! While it has a creamy base, this isn’t your regular everyday potato salad. Granted my dad’s potato salad is my absolute favorite, but I wanted to experiment with something new. I’ve had a hankering for the Greek lemon potatoes I made awhile back and decided that would be a good potato salad flavor to work with.
I decided to create a Greek/Mediterranean-inspired potato salad because it also gave me an excuse to play with some of the flavored olive oil I’ve received from Pomora. In this case I used their lemon flavored extra virgin olive oil. Because lemon juice just wasn’t enough lemon for me, I needed layers! And no this isn’t a sponsored post, I just happen to be obsessed with their olive oil and they happen to send it to me for free with no strings attached.
After roasting the mini tri-colored potatoes (heck yea there’s purple potatoes in there), they were tossed in the Greek yogurt based creamy lemon dressing and then folded in cucumber, red onion, olives, and mint. Easy as that! And yes despite the ethnic inspiration is still was a great side to piles of BBQ in all forms from chicken, brisket, ribs, and pulled pork.
Four years ago: Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Madeleines
Six years ago: Tropical Ice Pops
CREAMY LEMON MEDITERRANEAN POTATO SALAD
2 lb. baby potatoes, quartered(I used a medley bag of red, yellow, and purple)
4 Tbsp extra- virgin olive oil, divided
3 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup diced cucumber
2 Tbsp diced red onion
2 Tbsp diced Kalamata olives
1 Tbsp freshly minced mint
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly coating with nonstick spray.
- In a large bow, toss the diced potatoes with 2 tablespoons of oil and salt and pepper. Pour onto prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through, until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, yogurt, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add roasted potatoes and toss to coat. Fold in cucumber, red onion, olives, and mint. Enjoy warm or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Source: Adapted from Bev Cooks.