Meet gooey butter cake’s chocolate cousin. Perfect for chocolate lovers and as a decadent treat for Valentine’s Day!
Another blog post means another food holiday! I am continuing the food holiday recipe trend by joining in for #NationalChocolateCakeDay. It may not yet be February by Valentine’s Day is less than a month away so I decided to literally sprinkle my version of chocolate cake today with some love in the form of heart-shaped sprinkles. Two for one holidays!
I love the funfetti version of gooey butter cake that I made so much that I finally decided to branch out and try another cake mix for the base, obviously chocolate. It ends up like a slightly less dense version of a brownie topped with chocolate cheesecake. I may not be a huge fan of traditional chocolate cake, but pretty much anything with cream cheese is going to please my taste buds.
P.S, In house news – we closed on Friday and have the keys! Now to finish up packing and move with temperatures in the teens. Ugh…
Get even more chocolate cake from the other 10 bloggers participating below:
- Amy of House of Nash Eats: One Bowl Chocolate Cake
- Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Frisky Whiskey Chocolate Cake
- Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings: Spicy Sweet Chocolate Cake
- Erin of The Spiffy Cookie: Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake
- Jaida of Sweet Beginnings: Chocolate Caramel Turtle Cake
- Jolene of Jolene’s Recipe Journal: Old Fashioned Fudge Cake
Lisa of Bloggehtti: German Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Kate of Kate’s Recipe Box: Chocolate Poke Cake
- Nichole of Cookaholic Wife: Italian Love Cake
- Sue of Palatable Pastime Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
- Terri of Our Good Life: Chocolate Mug Cake Keto Style
- Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm: Easy One Pan Mocha Cake
Three years ago: Peach Cinnamon Rolls
Five years ago: Vanilla Sprinkle Cookies
Seven years ago: Banana Peanut Butter Cup Muffins
Eight years ago: Orange Strawberry Banana Smoothie
CHOCOLATE GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
Makes 24 bars
1 box chocolate cake mix
4 eggs, room temperature
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
2-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
Festive sprinkles (optional)
- Place rack on the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan, line with parchment paper leaving overhang, and grease the parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with a hand mixer on low speed mix together the cake mix, 2 of the eggs, butter, and vanilla until combined. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan and press evenly along the bottom of the pan and up the sides about 1/2 inch. Wipe off mixers and bowl.
- In the same bowl, on low speed mix together the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and cocoa powder until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs and mix until smooth and creamy. Pour on top of the crust and spread evenly. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until set. Allow to cool for two hours on a cooling rack before cutting and serving (speed up process by placing in the refrigerator once no longer oven-hot. Keep leftovers refrigerated.
Source: Adapted slightly from my Funfetti Gooey Butter Cake.