You don’t need a vat of oil to make doughnuts at home. These baked strawberry-ginger glazed doughnuts are just as good as their fried cousins.
I know that I’m late to the party for National Doughnut Day but these babies were worth the wait. I adore blueberry glazed doughnuts so after picking several pounds of strawberries when my mom and step dad came to visit it just seemed like the logical next step. Granted, I first made a batch of homemade strawberry syrup but that was just with the ugly ones.
To sweeten the deal I added some ginger which added just a little zing to the sweetness. You too can get your hands on some ginger and a slew of other herbs by entering my giveaway for a package of Gourmet Garden! This is actually a belated giveaway that was supposed to be paired up with #FreshTastyValentines but slipped through the cracks. Valentine’s Day in June anyone?
One year ago: Slow Cooker Honey Gold Chicken Wings
Five years ago: Blueberry Blondie Cheesecake Bars
BAKED STRAWBERRY-GINGER GLAZED DOUGHNUTS
Makes approximately 16
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup strawberries, coarsely chopped
6 medium sized strawberries, puréed (about 1/4 cup purée)
2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat 2 doughnut pans with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, and baking powder. in another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients stir until just combined.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into the prepared pans, filling each mold about 2/3 full.
- bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for about 3 minutes before removing onto a cooling rack.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the strawberry puree and powdered sugar together. Dip doughnuts into the glaze, and allow to set for about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Source: Adapted slightly from Fearless Homemaker.
Disclosure: I was provided with complimentary Gourmet Garden product as part of #FreshTastyValentines. Giveaway provided by Gourmet Garden. ALl thoughts and opinions are my own.
a Rafflecopter giveaway