Just a little toasting of the coconut makes a world of difference in these toasted coconut congo bars with dark chocolate chips.
In the process of naming these bars I learned something: a blondie is all brown sugar while a cookie bar has both brown and white sugar and could be baked either as a cookie or a bar. Sounds easy enough, right? But to throw a wrench in it, if you add coconut then it’s a congo bar. So while I thought I had a cookie bar on my hands to share with you today, apparently it is a congo bar. I can’t keep up with the things.
These congo bars were made with toasted coconut, coconut oil instead of butter, and dark chocolate chips. Dark chocolate chips that also happen to have a coconut flavored center. And the bars are behemoths due to baking an entire cookie dough recipe in a 9×9-inch square pan. My cookie recipe usually makes over 3 dozen cookies and I packed them all into 81-square-inches! It’s no wonder they are massively thick. But if you prefer tamer bars, bake them in a 9×13-inch pan instead. I personally think tamer is lamer (unless you are trying to be a healthy person and then you get a pass… this time).
No one complained about their size however. One friend even proclaimed them to the best the cookies he’s ever had and coming from someone who doesn’t get excited about desserts I was pretty stoked about this proclamation as he then reached for a second… and a third… and yes all giant-sized. Because sometimes you just need a giant
cookie bar congo bar to the face.
One year ago: Easy Cheez-It Snack Mix
Two years ago: Parmesan & Herb Baked Eggs
Four years ago: Birthday Cake Oreo Cheesecake Cookies
Five years ago: Walnut-Strawberry Quick Bread
TOASTED COCONUT DARK CHOCOLATE CHIP CONGO BARS
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup coconut oil, softened but not melted (or you can use unsalted butter)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 egg + 1 yolk, room temperature
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
9 oz. dark chocolate chips (I used NESTLÉ Delightfulls dark chocolate morsels with coconut filling)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and place parchment paper in the bottom of a 9-inch square pan (or 13×9 for less thick bars), leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat oil and sugar together until creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Mix in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture until combined. Stir in toasted coconut and dark chocolate. Dough will be thick and sticky.
- Spread the dough out evenly into the pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden on top and middle is set (less time if baked in a 13×9-inch pan).
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Source: Adapted from My Favorite Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and Peanut Butter & Chocolate Kitchen Sink Cookie Bars.