Easy weeknight meals don’t have to be boring. Check out this tortellini dish with spicy sausage, kale, and peas. All cooked in on pot!
In all my years of being a member of the Secret Recipe Club I have not once slipped up. But I finally managed to fail as made evident by my post today instead of one week ago. When I first found out that I was matched with Amy’s blog (Fearless Homemaker) this month I was so stinking excited as I already had a list of her recipes to try and Amy recently had my blog for Secret Recipe Club so it was time for me to return the favor. Then what seemed like one week went by and I am seeing Group D reveal day posts in my Feedly last Monday and I panicked. Long story short, here I am today posting with Group A (hi guys!) to make up for my mistake.
On her blog, Amy shares all kinds of recipes that you need to try such as Chicken Tamale Casserole, Slow-Cooker Cajun Chicken Pasta, Chai Snickerdoodles, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars. While living in Tennessee I actually got to meet Amy in the flesh while visiting Nashville! We went to this delicious little sandwich place called Silly Goose (and have gone back more than once since) and then hopped next door for some Jeni’s ice cream (which was a complete surprise to find Ohio ice cream in TN). When I found out there was an adorable house for sale down the street from her, I immediately wished I had gotten a job in Nashville instead of Columbus. Wouldn’t she be the best neighbor? Major selling point for that house.
Since I cannot have Amy as my neighbor (yet) I settled for one of her original one-pot recipes. After re-entering the working world, my weeknight dinners depend heavily upon my slow cooker and one-pot meals. This particular one-pot meal is especially great because not only does it only dirty on pan, it is well rounded with the addition of vegetables and can be modified based on your preferences. For example, I used spicy Italian sausage instead of mild and kale instead of spinach because we like a little spice and I had kale already that needed a meaning in life.
One year ago: Parmesan & Herb Baked Eggs
Three years ago: Birthday Cake Oreo Cheesecake Cookies
Four years ago: Walnut-Strawberry Quick Bread
ONE-POT TORTELLINI WITH SAUSAGE, KALE & PEAS
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed (I used hot)
20 oz. cheese tortellini
24 oz. vodka cream sauce
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
2 cups torn kale leaves
Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large saucepan or skillet with deep sides over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add onion and saute for 5-8 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add sausage to the pan, break up with a wooden spoon, and saute until cooked-through and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain off excess fat.
- Add the tortellini, sauce, plus 1 jar (24 oz.) of water, frozen peas, and crushed red pepper (if using) to the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15-18 minutes, stirring frequently, until the tortellini are al dente, and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the kale, stir to combine, and cook for 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Serve topped with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.
Source: Adapted slightly from Fearless Homemaker.