Love green bean casserole? Then you should have the same feelings for my cheesy okra casserole.
When you think of Thanksgiving (or other winter holiday) side dishes, I bet green bean casserole is the first that comes to mind for many people. Besides my general aversion to green food as a child, I also disliked the mushy consistency due to used canned beans. That stuck with me even after I started eating green vegetables in college. But then I tried making them myself with fresh green beans and it was a total game changer.
When I decided t add okra instead of green beans, to fit my themed Thanksgiving menu (thus far with sweet tea sangria, poblano bacon gravy, smoked mac & cheese, and smoked turkey), it should come as no surprise that I did not use canned. That being said however, okra is a pretty tough guy and I bet using a can wouldn’t be nearly as offensively mushy. I just wasn’t willing to take that risk. But in case you cannot readily find fresh okra, frozen will work as well.
Don’t forget to check out the other awesome Holiday Side Dishes posted today:
- Balsamic Mustard Brussels Sprouts from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cheddar Green Bean Casserole from Kate’s Recipe Box
- Easy Southern Succatash from Blogghetti
- Herbed Hasselback Potatoes from Family Around the Table
- Honey Roasted Carrots with Thyme from Sweet Beginnings
- Hot Honey Skillet Corn from Our Good Life
- Okra Casserole from The Spiffy Cookie
- Par-Baked Dinner Rolls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pepper Bacon Mac N Cheese from Simply Inspired Meals
- Roasted Garlic and Herb Mushrooms from Cook with Renu
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Sauteed Chayote Squash with Onions and Bacon from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese from Palatable Pastime
Two years ago: Dark Chocolate Cookies and Cream Bars
Three years ago: Weekly Meal Plan #36
Four years ago: White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Cookie Bars
Five years ago: Chocolate Candy Corn & Creme Cookies
Six years ago: Halloween 7-Layer Bars
Seven years ago: Pumpkin Oreo Truffles
CHEESY OKRA CASSEROLE
3/4 cup milk
1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 lb. fresh (or frozen) okra, steamed and chopped
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 (2.8 oz.) can French fried onions, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a medium baking dish ans set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and soup. Stir in the okra, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and 1/2 the can of fried onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 minutes, or until bubbly. Top with remaining cheese and fried onions, and bake 5 more minutes, or until melted and toasted.
Source: Adapted slightly from Allrecipes.