Take banana bread to a whole new level with the German chocolate banana bread. Made with German chocolate cake mix, it couldn’t be easier.
As you know I like to celebrate obscure food holidays and today is no exception because today is National German Chocolate Cake Day. Although it may not be my first choice when it comes to dessert options I do enjoy a good German chocolate cake or a related dessert such as German chocolate brownies or my mom’s Tailgate Cake. Today’s recipe can be enjoyed for dessert or breakfast because it’s half banana bread, half German chocolate cake.
How did this come to be? Mashed bananas, pecans, and coconut are added along with the usual suspects to a box of German chocolate cake mix. After scooping the batter into a loaf pan I sprinkled more coconut and pecans halves on top. There may not be any of the signature German chocolate cake frosting involved but the flavor of the toasted pecans on top made up for it.
Check out these other great recipes with pecans:
- Autumn Flavored Rice Pilaf by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Autumn Pecan Sourdough by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Candied Pecans by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chicken & Pecans Sandwich by Sneha’s Recipe
- German Chocolate Banana Bread by The Spiffy Cookie
- Jalapeño Pecan Cheese Ball by Food Lust People Love
- Pecan Chutney by Magical Ingredients
- Pecan Long Grain and Wild Rice (Instant Pot) by Palatable Pastime
One year ago: Honey-Lime Chicken Kebabs
- 1 package (15.25 ounces) German chocolate cake mix, dry
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients until combined and a batter forms. Pour the batter into prepared pan. Top with additional pecans and/or coconut if desired.
- Bake the bread for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan and allow to completely cool.
Source: Adapted from What’s cooking, love?