On Sunday I told you about how I had the pleasure of meeting and baking with Heather Saffer of Dollop the day before. She was incredibly nice and very easy to get along with. It was cool to talk about her experiences in the food world – being on Cupcake Wars, owning a cupcake shop, and having a cookbook. It’s interesting how different it is from just having a food blog, living in my own little world.
Funny thing was when she said that despite all of her experience, she thinks that I am more of a baker than she is! I don’t know about that but I do tend to be a bit of a control freak when it comes to baking and cooking, so I may have taken over when we were baking together without meaning to. Oops! Thankfully I don’t think it phased her as she gave me one of her Dollop “fr<3sting” shirts when she departed – yay!!! So thoughtful! I wish I had thought of it and I would’ve given her a Spiffy Cookie necklace. Just dropping the ball left and right haha.
Today I am sharing one of the recipes we made together – mini pistachio cupcakes with a dark chocolate ganache. After much deliberation on what we should make, the pistachio dark chocolate toffee I found at Trader Joe’s inspired me and made the decision easy. We also made flourless brownies with pistachios, because why not?
One year ago: Chocolate Cake Ball Stuffed Oreo Pudding Cookies
MINI PISTACHIO CUPCAKES
Makes 2 dozen mini cupcakes
5 Tbsp shelled salted pistachios, divided
3-1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
2 oz. dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream
Additional pistachios, for garnish
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line mini cupcake pans with paper liners. Set aside.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the pistachios in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely ground. In a medium bowl combine the butter, cream cheese and ground pistachios. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Gradually mix in the sugar on medium-low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla. With the mixer on low, add the flour and salt, and mix just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Coarsely chop the remaining pistachios and evenly fold into the batter with a spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared liners, filling each about three quarters full. Bake, rotating halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, place the chocolate and heavy cream in a small heatproof bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk in small circular motions until the chocolate is completely melted and the ganache is smooth and glossy.
- Dip the top of each cooled cupcake into the ganache to create a thin, even layer. Sprinkle with additional chopped pistachios, if desired.
Source: Downsized from Annie’s Eats.