Originally I set out making this recipe with Monterey cheese. That is until I realized the brick in my fridge was a bit too moldy. But look there’s some white cheddar, that would be superb! Oh, nope moldy too. So I ended up using cheddar just like in the original recipe. So much for experimenting! Nothing wrong with the original though, very tasty with just the right about of spice.
However, I did try out making homemade pita chips out of some homemade pita bread. And they were really really good! And so easy to make! Definitely make some, even with store-bought pitas. They are perfect for this or any of your favorite dips.
6 whole wheat pitas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Split the pitas in half (like slicing open a bun) and brush each side with a little olive oil. Cut each round into 8 triangles and place on baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with garlic powder and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
JALAPENO CHEDDAR HUMMUS
2 14.5-oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeds removed
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp warm water, to start
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine the chickpeas, jalapeno pepper, olive oil, water, cumin and salt in a food processor. Process until smooth (adding more water if you desire to thin the hummus out a bit).
- Add the cheddar cheese and cumin and process again until everything is well combined.
- Serve with pita chips or your favorite dipper.
Source: Pita chips are a Spiffy Cookie original. Hummus is from Eat, Live, Run.