Life is short, make peanut butter pretzel pie. Instead of a chocolate cookie crust, I made my favorite peanut butter pie with a pretzel crust for a sweet and salty treat.
Although I have never met Jennie of In Jennie’s Kitchen, her post about the unexpected passing of her husband on Sunday hit my heart. Sometimes we forget how important a single day or moment can be. In response to those offering support, she requested that everyone make a peanut butter pie to share with loved ones on Friday – today. I could not deny such a simple request with a wonderful meaning.
This peanut butter pretzel pie was inspired by my favorite peanut butter pie, but instead of using a chocolate cookie crust I opted for a saltier combo with crushed pretzels. Top it off with fresh whipped cream, more crushed pretzels, chopped peanuts, and/or a drizzle of chocolate.
This sweet and salty peanut butter pretzel pie will be shared both physically and virtually with my family and friends who whether near or far are very much loved. For those who live in Memphis with me, consider this a warning for when I smash pie into your face and then bear-hug you.
Want more like this peanut butter pretzel pie?
- Cookies and Cream Peanut Butter Pie
- Fluffernutter Pie
- Mile High Peanut Butter Mousse Brownie Pie
- No-Bake Peanut Butter & Jelly Pie
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Mini S’mores Pies
- The Bee’s Knees Peanut Butter Pie
- 2 cups broken salted pretzel sticks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1-8 oz pkg. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Handful of dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- To make the crust, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Using a food processor, finely grind the pretzels, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Transfer to a bowl, then stir in the melted butter.
- Press evenly over the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake until light brown around the edges, about 18 minutes. Let cool on a rack.
- To make the filling, beat together 1 cup peanut butter, cream cheese and brown sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer on medium, until well combined.
- Whip the heavy cream on medium-high until soft peaks form. Stir 1/3 of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten it up. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the remaining whipped cream until thoroughly combined. Spoon mixture into pie shell and smooth to edges of pie.
- To top, sprinkle with chopped peanuts*. Put chocolate and peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments at 50% power, stirring after each. Continue until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and snip a tiny bit off the corner (or use a squeeze bottle). Hold the bag over the pie and drizzle the melted chocolate in a zig-zag pattern. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, until ready to serve.
*When I updated this recipe I opted for whipped cream and leftover crushed pretzels instead.
Post updated 3/14/2023, photo above is the original.