What’s better than gooey butter cake in cookie form? A peanut butter version coated in cocoa-powdered sugar mixture.
This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Last year one of my most popular recipes was my lemon gooey butter cookies, but after a red velvet version shortly after I have not revisited it again. It was time to make a peanut butter version! These cookies are just as gooey and are rolled in a mixture of cocoa powder and powdered sugar because it’s #PBChocSat on the blog. But I also added in some candy eyeballs because is the last day of #HalloweenTreatsWeek !
Confession time: the first time I made these, I accidentally grabbed cherry flavored extract and didn’t realize until it was too late. I almost scrapped the dough and started over, but I gave it a quick taste and was pleasantly surprised to discover it tasted like a PB&J sandwich. Not such a bad accident after all! However, I still think they taste better in this particular scenario with vanilla extract instead of cherry. Maybe next time I’ll share a PB&J treat instead of PB&Choc.
While today may be the very last day #HalloweenTreatsWeek, there are still plenty of recipes to check out from the other bloggers, which are listed below. Have you also made sure to enter to win one of the giveaways yet? Scroll all the way to the bottom of this post to find the widget because time is running short!
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Frosted Halloween Monster Mash Brownies from Big Bear’s Wife
- Candy Corn Pound Cake from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Halloween Scene Cake from Mrs Happy Homemaker
- Super Cute Halloween Ghost Cupcakes from I am a Honey Bee
- Gooey Monster Peanut Butter Cookies from The Spiffy Cookie
- Mini Mummy Dogs from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Frankenstein Crispy Rice Cereal Treats from The Redhead Baker
- Little Monsters Halloween Mocktails from 4 Sons R Us
- Graveyard Pudding from The Beard and The Baker
- Cake Mix Candy Corn Naked Cake from Southern from Scratch
- Bloody Good Mini Cheesecakes from Sugar Dish Me
- Monster Pinata Cupcakes from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Four years ago: Banana Bread Brownies
Five years ago: Orange Chicken with Asparagus
Six years ago: Buckeye Monkey Bread Muffins
Seven years ago: Oatmeal Meatballs with Spinach
GOOEY MONSTER PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
Makes approximately 4 dozen
2-1/4 all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1-1/4 cups Dixie Crystals pure cane sugar
1/4 cup Dixie Crystals pure cane light brown sugar
2 tsp Adam’s Extract clear vanilla
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
COATING & DECOR
1/2 cup Dixie Crystals confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cocoa powder
Wilton candy eyeballs
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment on medium speed (or handheld electric mixer and a large bowl), cream together cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add egg and egg yolk and beat until creamy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- On low speed, gradually add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, arrange oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Sift confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder into a small bowl; set aside.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls (I used a medium cookie scoop), roll in sugar-cocoa mix to coat, and place on prepared baking sheets at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are puffed and crackly. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack, press eyeball into the cracks, and allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for at least 10 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheet and transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Once completely cooled, transfer cookies to an airtight container.
Source: Adapted from my Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies.
Happy Halloween! We hope you’re ready for a spooktacular event as we celebrate Halloween with the first annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This haunting week-long event is filled with fantastic Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For our very first #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 100 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 5 (five) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Pure Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Caramel Extract, Almond Extract, Pumpkin Pie Dip Mix and Adam’s Best Twice as strong Vanilla
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Halloween Cookie House Bat, Tombstone and Skull 3-Piece Cookie Cutter Set, Halloween Skull Tube Pan, Zombie Cupcake Liners, Skull Sugar Decorations
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away 1 (one) 1.5lb Sprinkle Mix Kit from their shop
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a $25 Visa Gift Card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 1st – October 6th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Treat Street USA ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.