It’s hard to beat a broccoli soup loaded with cheddar and this soup is perfection. Serve with your favorite toasty bread or in a bread bowl for the ultimate comfort food.
I love kitchen gadgets. And what’s even better is getting to use them. This soup recipe is currently the #1 reason why I own an immersion blender. It reminds me of a slightly heartier version of Panera Bread’s soup, with the bread (or serve in a bread bowl) as the final touch. Perfect meal after a cold rainy day. If that’s not convincing enough here is a direct quote from Brent, “MmmMmm!!”.
Post updated 6/17/14, picture above is the original.
BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Salt and pepper
4 cups broccoli florets
1 large carrot, diced
2-1/2 cups grated sharp white and yellow cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
Loaf of harvest grain bread
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, 3-4 minutes, then gradually whisk in the half-and-half until smooth.
- Add the chicken broth, bay leaves and nutmeg, then season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and carrot and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves. Puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender (or in small batches with a blender), making sure to leave the desired amount of chunks.
- Add the cheese to the soup and whisk over medium heat until melted.
- Serve with toasted slices of the harvest grain bread.
Source: Food Network