These Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Bars start with a chewy peanut butter cookie base which is topped with heart-shaped Reese’s peanut butter cups and festive sprinkles.
What’s better than a peanut butter cookie in bar form? A peanut butter cup cookie bar topped with a peanut butter cup! Just load up on the peanut butter, that’s what I say.
INGREDIENTS FOR PEANUT BUTTER CUP COOKIE BARS
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- unsalted butter
- light brown sugar
- creamy peanut butter
- vanilla extract
- peanut butter cups
- Festive sprinkles
I chose to use heart-shaped pink Reese’s peanut butter cups because I made these around Valentine’s Day, but you can use any shape or flavor peanut butter cup you prefer. Just change up the color/style of sprinkles to fit the occasion as well.
In the end, these turned out to be a peanut butter lover’s dream. Does it get much better than a chewy peanut butter cookie topped with a peanut butter cup on top? The only thing that might make them better (IMO) would be to combine with cheesecake to make cheesecake peanut butter cup cookie bars, but I digress.
Is it good to chill cookie dough before baking?
Normally my answer to this question is yes, but that’s because I most often make drop cookies where chilling helps prevent the dough from spreading too much, in addition to slight changes in flavor and texture.
With these peanut butter cup cookie bars, chilling the dough is less important since it’s already spread into one layer – and we prefer it to stay that way. No chilling necessary!
Two years ago: Chocolate Covered Strawberry Sugar Cookies
Seven years ago: Lighter Roasted Garlic & Hemp Seed Fettuccine Alfredo
Eight years ago: Red Velvet Creme Brulee for Two
Ten years ago: Valentine’s Funfetti 7 Layer Bars
Eleven years ago: Sausage Lasagna Heart Calzone
Twelve years ago: Oreo Truffles
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 15 unwrapped heart-shaped peanut butter cups*
- Festive sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place parchment paper in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Grease the sides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Mix in peanut butter, egg and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture until combined. Dough will be thick and sticky.
- Spread the cookie dough out evenly into the pan. Top with evenly spaced out peanut butter cups and sprinkles. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes before using the parchment paper overhang to lift bars out of the pan.
- Set on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, cut into 15 bars.
*Can also use standard peanut butter cups