This homemade version of the famous Double Nickel salad consists of mixed green, crunchy bacon, crumbly blue cheese, fresh tomatoes, tangy red onion, and a sweet mustard dressing.
To be completely honest, my first experience with this salad was at the cafeteria in the hospital where I work. And then I discovered it at one of my favorite local restaurants, Rusty Bucket. I’m still not entirely sure where the name comes from but it’s definitely one of my favorite salads.
What’s not to love about a salad that involves blue cheese and bacon? A bed of mixed greens is tossed with cherry tomatoes, red onion, crumbled bacon and blue cheese, then topped with a sweet mustard dressing. It’s sweet and savory, fresh and tangy.
A few other favorite salads:
- Chopped BBQ Ranch Salad with Cheetos
- Chopped Village Salad
- Grilled Chicken Gyro Salad with Pita Croutons
- Italian Wedge Salad with Gorgonzola Dressing
Four years ago: Homemade Vanilla Peach Jam
Nine years ago: Review: Leafy Greens Cookbook
Ten years ago: No Bake Peanut Butter S’mores Bars
Eleven years ago: Biscoff Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp pureed garlic
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 10 oz. mixed salad greens, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 4 oz. blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- In a blender, food processor, or a jar with a lid, combine the dressing ingredients. Blend or shake to form an emulsion. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the salad ingredients.
- Divide into four bowls (or two if the main dish), drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.
Source: Inspired by Rusty Bucket and dressing from All Recipes.