This Italian Wedge Salad had the same presentation you love with tomato, red onion, pancetta, and a homemade gorgonzola dressing.
I don’t know what it is about a wedge salad, but I find it so satisfying. Maybe it’s because I find it easier to eat, because you can stab a whole stack of lettuce instead of trying to spear single leaves one at a time, or maybe it’s just the flavorful fresh toppings. Either way I find myself ordering it a lot, especially lately with the hotter temperature we’ve been experiencing.
When I hosted a full-blown Italian coursed dinner recently (twice cause I’m nuts), the Insalata course was this Italian inspired wedge salad. I originally considered using Romaine lettuce but you can’t get the same solid wedge effect as you can with iceburg. Instead I used pancetta in place of bacon and gorgonzola for blue cheese. The end result was the perfect salad after a heavy Secondo meat course.
Eight years ago: Roasted Balsamic Strawberry Ice Cream
Nine years ago: Simple Chicken & Sweet Pepper Stir Fry
Ten years ago: Strawberries and Cream Pie
Eleven years ago: Blueberry Pomegranate Smoothie
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 4 oz. gorgonzola, finely crumbled
- 1/4 lb. pancetta
- 1/2 large head of iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients except the gorgonzola.
- Stir in the crumbled gorgonzola. Cover and refrigerate before serving. Up to 8 hours or overnight is best.
- Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper if necessary before serving.
- Place a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook until crispy. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Place lettuce wedges on salad plates. Pour blue cheese dressing over wedges and sprinkle with crispy pancetta, tomatoes, red onion, and crumbled blue cheese. Serve immediately.