If you love gyros then you need to make this gyro salad. It’s a Greek salad topped with grilled chicken, homemade pita croutons, and tzatziki dressing.
I do not repeat recipes often but when I do I typically change them up slightly. Today is one such example, where I deconstructed the recipe for my chicken gyros into a salad. Gyro-seasoned chicken is grilled to perfection and served over a Greek salad topped with homemade pita croutons and tzatziki dressing. The grilled chicken could easily be enjoyed by itself as it is tender, juicy, flavorful, etc… but the remaining components work to further enhance the experience. Although this recipe has quite a ridiculously long ingredient list do not be discouraged because it is relatively simple to throw together. Toss the chicken in the marinade, whisk together the dressing, toast the croutons (or use store-bought), chop up the salad and then grill the chicken. That’s only 5 steps and the longest task is marinating the chicken, which is inactive time.
One year ago: Funfetti Macarons
Three years ago: Mexican Mac and Cheese
GRILLED CHICKEN GYRO SALAD WITH PITA CROUTONS
1.25 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, juiced (2-3 Tbsp)
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping Tbsp plain Greek yogurt (I used 0% Chobani)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
6 bamboo or metal skewers (soak bamboo in water)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 of a large cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 0% Chobani)
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Tbsp dried dill
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
Salt, to taste
3 Romaine hearts, chopped
1/2 of a 15.5 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 of a large cucumber, peeled, cut in half length-wise and sliced
1/4 cup sliced pitted Kalamata olives
3 oz. crumbled feta cheese, plus more for topping
- For the marinade, in a medium bowl whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and oregano. Add the chicken and rub the marinade in. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
- While the chicken marinades, place all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until blended. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees for the croutons. In a medium bowl, toss the pita pieces with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika and a pinch of salt. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Heat grill to medium-high, and brush with oil. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers and discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Grill, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, approximately 10-12 minutes. Place on a platter and tent with foil while you prepare the salad.
- In a large bowl, mix the salad ingredients together and toss with 2 tablespoons of tzatziki dressing. Divide onto six plates and sprinkle with croutons and additional feta. Serve with chicken skewers and additional dressing.
Source: Chicken, salad and dressing adapted from my Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce. Croutons adapted from Mountain Mama Cooks.
This recipe is sheer genius. I love salad versions of anything, and I love gyros. You are my hero. :)
such a fun salad idea! Love homemade croutons!
This looks awesome– totally worth repeating! I LOVE Greek salads and the tzatziki dressing sounds amazing!!
I rarely repeat recipes either – the hubby hates it. But I just have so many things I want to make that there’s no time for a repeat. But this salad could totally make it’s way to our table!! Looks so flavorful!