This bright and fresh lemon almond cake is naturally gluten-free with the use of almond flour. Topped lemon mascarpone for a delicious summer dessert.
Welcome to #LemonWeek 2022 hosted by Lynn from Fresh April Flours and Rebecca from Devour Dinner. This week is sponsored by Rodelle and La Tourangelle. I received product samples from these sponsors to help in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. Come join me and my fellow Lemon Week bloggers as we bring you recipes from appetizers to drinks to entrées and desserts!
What I made for Lemon Week:
I’m starting this week of celebrating lemons with one of the best desserts I have made. The first time I made this cake was part of a date night at home kit from one of my favorite local caterers, The Kitchen, during the early days of COVID lockdown when we were all trying to figure things out. The dessert originally was a lemon-orange cake with a little bit of cinnamon added which was an instant hit.
When it came time to brainstorm recipes for #LemonWeek, this cake immediately came to mind. This time I doubled up on the lemon and left the orange out. Then I added even more lemon in a mascarpone topping. It was just a little bit different but still just as amazing as I remembered. Rich in lemon flavor, but light in taste despite the thickness of the cake. And as an added bonus it is naturally gluten-free with the use of almond flour.
For this recipe I used La Tourangelle baking spray to grease the cake pan and Rodelle vanilla extract. Be sure to check out the prizes up to grabs and enter the giveaway located at the bottom of this post. But also don’t forget to check out all these other lemony delicious recipes shared today listed below this text…
Monday #LemonWeek Recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf by Fresh April Flours
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Feta by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake No Churn Ice Cream by Blogghetti
- Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Egg Lemon Soup with Spinach by Art Of Natural Living
- Lemon Shortbread Bars by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Butter Salmon by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Curd by Devour Dinner
- Lemon Curd Cookies by Best Cookie Recipes
- Lemon Donuts by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Fruit Dip by Simply Inspired Meals
- Lemonade Bundt Cake by The Fresh Cooky
- Lemon Ginger Chicken Thighs by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Creamy Lemon Basil Shrimp Pasta by An Affair From The Heart
- Lemon Cupcakes by Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- 15 Minute Lemon Pasta by Jen Around The World
- Lemon Cheesecake by Lemon Blossoms
- Lemon Smoothie by Home Cooked Harvest
- Aromatic Lemon Chicken by That Recipe
- Lemon Pound Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Lemon Muffins with Lemon Drizzle by Jonesin’ For A Taste
- Lemon Garlic Pasta by Magical Ingredients
Three years ago: Easy Greek Chicken Skewers
Four years ago: Spinach Artichoke Potato Salad
Five years ago: Bacon Cheddar Burger with Jalapeno Aioli
Six years ago: Mini Lime Cupcakes with Blueberry Frosting
Eight years ago: Strawberry, Rhubarb & Pear Salad
Nine years ago: Strawberry Basil Gelato
Ten years ago: Apricot White Chocolate Granola Bites
Eleven years ago: Chicken and Veggie Nuggets
- 2 cups + 1 Tbsp almond flour, divided
- 4 large egg, yolks and whites divided
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 lemons, juice and zest divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz. mascarpone
- More lemons or toasted almonds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray and dust with 1 tablespoon of almond flour.
- In a large bowl, add the yolks and 1-1/2 cups of the sugar. Whisk until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla, whisking until well blended.
- Add almond flour to the yolk mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well between additions. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the egg whites and beat with a hand mixer until soft peaks form (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add 1/3 of the whites to the yolk mixture, and gently fold with a rubber spatula until just incorporated. Add the remaining white and continue to fold until incorporated.
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the mascarpone, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, and remaining 1/2 tsp vanilla until blended. Spread on top of cooled cake before serving.
Source: Adapted slightly from The Kitchen.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see! Tag @THESPIFFYCOOKIE on Instagram and hashtag it #THESPIFFYCOOKIE
Check out the amazing prizes you can win in our #LemonWeek Giveaway!
Prize #1: Rodelle Prize Pack
Rodelle Prize Pack includes:
- 2 count Gourmet Madagascar Vanilla Beans
- 2oz Almond Extract
- 4oz Natural Baker’s Extract
- 4oz Vanilla Paste
- 8oz Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 25oz Organic Baking Cocoa
Prize #2: La Tourangelle Prize Pack
La Tourangelle Prize Pack includes:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Roasted Walnut Oil
- Regenerative Sunflower Oil
- 4oz Vanilla Paste
- Fleur de Sel Almond Butter
Terms and conditions: This #LemonWeek is sponsored by Rodelle and La Tourangelle which starts 5/23/2022 and ends 6/3/2022 at 11:59pm ET. Enter to win a prize pack from Rodelle or La Tourangelle that include baking and cooking ingredients. This giveaway is open to anyone 18 years or older in the United States. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Two (2) winners will be selected and sent prize packages directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #LemonWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #LemonWeek posts or entry.a Rafflecopter giveaway