When you stumble upon peanut butter ice cream sandwiches and cannot help but turn them into an epic peanut butter and chocolate ice cream sandwich cake!
Today our home is going to war because my alma mater Ohio State is playing Bob’s alma mater Penn State. Last year I was surrounded by Penn State fans while attending a wedding in Pennsylvania, getting all the snarky comments as they were ahead most of the game, but then we sneaked in a win at the very end and myself and the only other fan there had to celebrate in near silence to avoid all the scorn, mostly from the bride and groom who themselves were also Penn State alumni.
This year we are watching them game from the comfort of our own home and while Bob won’t be subjected to an entire wedding guest list of enemies most of our friends coming over to watch the game are Ohio State fans. Of course he wasted no time in hanging up his Penn State flag in our front window which then prompted me to pull out all my Ohio State decor as well.
Of course I had to make sure my #PBchocSat was as game-face ready as I am so I used the peanut butter ice cream sandwiches I serendipitously discovered not long before this game. At first I was just going to annihilate them straight up but then I remembered how popular my banana split ice cream sandwich cake was and decided it was the perfect time for a peanut butter and chocolate version. It’s like it was meant to be!
Four years ago: BBQ Sausage & Cheese Plate
Five years ago: Apple-Walnut Pancakes with Brown Sugar Greek Yogurt
Six years ago: Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownies
Seven years ago: Baked Garlic Parmesan Fries
PEANUT BUTTER & CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM SANDWICH CAKE
- 8 peanut butter ice cream sandwiches (I used Velvet Buckeye classic sandwiches)
- 2 cups chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, softened
- 1 cup chopped chocolate peanut butter cups
- Chocolate topping
- Arrange 4 ice cream sandwiches together in a row on a large serving platter. Spread the ice cream on top in an even layer. Lightly press the remaining 4 ice cream sandwiches on top, then place in the freezer for 2 hours. Meanwhile, thaw the whipped topping.
- Spread the whipped topping evenly over the cake, covering the top and sides. Top with chopped peanut butter cups, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until set, about 2-4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and drizzle with chocolate topping. Serve immediately or cover and freeze for up to 2 days.
Source: Adapted from my Banana Split Ice Cream Sandwich Cake.