“What kind of pie is that?” – “Jes’ pie.” Whatever the reason for the name, this coconut chess pie version is worthy.
Guys, I have not missed a single Pi Day since the beginning of this blog. That’s 8 years in case you weren’t aware. Sure one year I opted for a bouquet of cake pops, but it was for a noble cause. And the last two years have been savory pies, both Shepherd’s pie inspired, one pizza and one potato skin. But this year I’ve decided to go back to the more traditional genre of pies known as dessert.
How much my taste buds have changed since I was a kid still sometimes amuses me. Granted I still dislike some things such as seafood and coffee, but many others I have grown to love (or figured out better ways to prepare them) and coconut is one of them. I can actually tell you exactly when I was turned to the coconut-side. The favorite cake of a previous lab member while I was in graduate school was coconut and while I did not look forward to making such a creation, it was for her birthday so I sucked it up and made a coconut cake complete with coconut syrup brushed on the layers, coconut frosting, and lots of shredded coconut on the top and sides. One bite was all it took to convert me. Which makes me realize in this moment that I really should work on posting that recipe sometime. But I digress, today is pie.
You guessed it, I made a coconut pie. But not just any coconut pie, I took my mom’s recipe for chess pie, from the early years of my life when my family still lived in Texas, and added coconut to it. Simple as that. Chess pie is already pretty simple so the addition of one more ingredient is nothing to balk at. Especially when just a quarter cup of coconut adds just the right amount of flavor. Once again, a rousing success according to all who tried it. I’m a little worried when my baking streak is going to end.
By the way, this post is part of #PiDay hosted by Coleen of The Redhead Baker. There are still 18 more pie recipes for you to check out to celebrate all things pie and pi today. Today might not be as cool as 2015 when we were able to tally out pi all the way to 3.141592653 if you celebrated to the second, but I’m still a nerd and 3.14 is good enough for me! But anywho, just scroll to the bottom of this post for the list.
One year ago: Shepherd’s Pie Pizza
Two years ago: Shepherd’s Pie Potato Skins
Three years ago: Coconut-Pistachio Pie
Four years ago: Crustless Ginger Blueberry-Pear Pie
Five years ago: Banana Pudding Pie
Six years ago: Flower Bouquet Cake Pops
Seven years ago: Cookies and Cream Peanut Butter Pie
COCONUT CHESS PIE
Makes 1 pie, serves 12-16
1 unbaked pie crust
3 eggs, separated
1-1/2 cups suagr
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1 Tbsp vinegar
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place crust in a pie pan and crimp edges. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, melted butter, coconut, vinegar, and vanilla until blended. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean and is browned on top.
Source: Adapted from my Meyer Lemon Chess Pie.
Pi Day Pie Recipes
- Beef Stew Pot Pie with Homemade Puff Pastry Topping by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Brownie Mint Pie by Family Around The Table
- Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Chocolate Mint Pie by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Velvet Pie with Meringue Crust by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Streusel Topped Carrot Pie by Cooking With Carlee
- Coconut Chess Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Crazy Easy No Bake Key Lime Pie by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Easy Buttermilk Pie Recipe by West Via Midwest
- Easy Lemon Pie by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
- Lamb, Basmati Rice, and Grape Leaf Pi(e) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mini Lemon Meringue Pies by Cookaholic Wife
- Mixed Berry Mini Pies by Bear & Bug Eats
- Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie by Everyday Eileen
- Shamrock Shake Pie by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Smoked Salmon and Herb Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Lemonade Pie by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Pie by Palatable Pastime
- Torta Pascualina (Spinach Ricotta Pie) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Upside Down Apple Pie by Jolene’s Recipe Journal