Dessert lasagna gets dressed up for Halloween with black and green filling and creepy eyes on top. AKA dark chocolate pistachio dessert lasagna.
In my mind, this dessert lasagna was going to ooze with neon green filling to resemble slime. But I refused to add the amount of food coloring it was going to take to get it there. Don’t get me wrong, I did use food coloring to get those green and black layers but I didn’t want to use the whole stinking container to get them to the vibrancy I desired. Alas, this didn’t come out as creepy as I had hoped but it still tasted good and disappeared as quickly as any other dessert lasagna I’ve made in the past.
And then I clearly spaced out and forgot to add the chocolate drizzle on top of this creation before I took the photos but just imagine some nice dark chocolate oozing down the sides. Talk about failing for #Choctoberfest when I should have chocolate on the brain nonstop. In case today wasn’t enough chocolate for you, scroll to the end of this post for more chocolate recipes from the other participating bloggers!
One year ago: Buckeye Blackout Whoopie Pies
Two years ago: Pumpkin, Sage & Sausage Stuffed Shells
Three years ago: Birthday Explosion Mini Cheesecakes
Four years ago: Stovetop Cajun Chicken Mac and Cheese
Five years ago: Pumpkin Biscoff Cream Cheese Bread
MONSTER MASH DESSERT LASAGNA
2 oz. dark chocolate
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1 cup heavy cream, divided
1 (3.4 oz.) package pistachio instant pudding
2 Tbsp dark cocoa powder
3 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, room temperature, divided
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Green and black gel food coloring, optional
16 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
1 (14 oz.) box chocolate graham crackers
8 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed
Sprinkles and decorative eyes
- For the chocolate drizzle: Melt the chocolate and heavy cream together in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the filling: In a large mixing bowl, whip together 2/3 cup of heavy cream, pudding mix, and 2 blocks of cream cheese. Whip for 2-3 minutes until fully combined and smooth. Mix in green food coloring if preferred. Add 2/3 of the thawed whipped topping and continue to whip until fluffy and light. Set aside.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whip together the remaining 1/3 cup of heavy cream, cocoa powder, remaining block of cream cheese, and vanilla. Whip for 2-3 minutes until fully combined and smooth. Mix in black food coloring if preferred.Add the remaining whipped topping and continue to whip until fluffy and light. Set aside.
- In a 9 x 13 inch dish place one layer of graham crackers (I used 7-1/2 per layer). Spread half of the pistachio filling over the graham crackers. Gently press the next layer of graham crackers into the filling. Top with the chocolate filling, repeat the graham cracker layer and end with the final half of the pistachio filling.
- Frost with whipped topping, drizzle with chocolate topping, and decorate with sprinkles and eyes (if using). Chill for at least 4-6 hours before cutting into 24 squares.
Source: Adapted from my Pumpkin S’mores Dessert Lasagna.