Get yours bowls ready for something other than cereal for breakfast – breakfast burrito bowls with all kinds of deliciousness!
Today a group of bloggers and I are surprising Audra (The Baker Chick) with a virtual baby shower to celebrate the impending arrival of her baby girl! I swear, Audra makes being pregnant look as cute as can be. Is that weird to say? But seriously she’s definitely one of those women who seem to glow. Although I have never met her in person, I’ve been following her blog since the dark ages and couldn’t be more excited for her family and their latest addition. To celebrate, since Audra often posts killer brunch recipes, this virtual baby shower is chock full of recipes perfect for your next weekend brunch.
In the creation of my dish, I took the opportunity to utilize some of the latest additions to the OXO family, and was inspired to create a breakfast quinoa burrito bowl. You know how unless your bag of quinoa reads “pre-washed” you are supposed to wash it? Yea I don’t rinse it either. But now that I have the OXO Rice & Grains Washing Colander I have no excuse because it has small enough holes so that the grains don’t fall through like they would in my regular colander. Then I utilized the Grape & Tomato Cutter to quickly quarter a pint of grape tomatoes and the Adjustable Hand-Held Mandoline Slicer to perfectly slice an avocado. I actually have a heavy-duty weapon-of-mandoline already but I rarely pull it out because it’s so big! This little guy was great.
But all those components are just the tip of the iceberg for these breakfast burrito bowls. In addition to the quinoa, tomatoes, and avocado, there is also crispy baked breakfast potatoes, spicy chorizo, black beans, cheese, and a fried egg – creating the ultimate breakfast burrito bowl! No sauces needed, because who needs condiments when you can have a runny yolk? I served this for brunch last weekend and my boyfriend said it was one of the best things I’ve made recently. So go ahead, dive in!
Don’t forget to check out the rest of our Audra’s Shower menu!
One year ago: Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros
Two years ago: Smoked Sausage with Peppers and Onion
Four years ago: Grilled Balsamic Chicken with Mozzarella and Pesto
Five years ago: Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Avocado Quesadillas
BREAKFAST QUINOA BURRITO BOWLS
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
1 lb. ground chorizo
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 lb. russet potatoes, peeled (if desired) and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
1-1/2 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top of each. Spray the rack with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl toss the fries with olive oil. Add the seasoned salt and pepper and arrange the fries in single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, flip over each fry, then bake for another 15-20 minutes or until desired doneness.
- About 15 to 20 minutes before the potatoes are ready, prepare the quinoa. Rinse and drain quinoa. Add to a medium pot along with water. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add the chorizo. Cook until completely browned, remove from pan, and cover with foil.
- Wipe most of the grease from the pan and return to medium heat. Crack eggs into the pan and cook until the whites are set.
- To assemble, divide potatoes, quinoa, chorizo, black beans, avocado, and tomatoes into 4 bowls. Top with cheese and an egg. Serve immediately.
Items you may need (affiliate links):