These baked French toast boats combine the ease of traditional French toast with the fancy flair of it’s baked counterpart.
Welcome to the third annual #BrunchWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Shaina from Take A Bite Out Of Boca. We are so excited to have you join us this year! Celebrate Brunch with us this week as we prepare for Mother’s Day. 30 Bloggers from around the country will showcase their best brunch dishes, from cocktails to casseroles, breakfast breads, sandwiches and salads – there is something for everyone! We also have a huge giveaway that you need to make sure you check out. Click HERE to find out more.
When I think of brunch food, French toast comes to mind. Not the pan fried kind (not that I don’t love it) but the let-it-soak-overnight-casserole kind. However I am often not the best at planning in advance so I came up with a way to make baked French toast without all the prep work – French toast boats. The typical egg-milk mixture in which you soak your French toast is instead poured into the cavity of a French demi baguette. These are then sprinkled with a praline topping and baked until puffy and golden on top. Slice and serve topped with maple syrup!
This recipe is perfect for customization and would be a great way to make fruit-stuffed French toast as well.
I hope you enjoy what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers cooked up today!
- Mango Swirled Coconut Margarita from The Little Ferraro Kitchen.
- Bruleed Grapefruit Mojito from Healthy Delicious.
- Strawberry Orange Blossom Sparkler from Baking a Moment.
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- Bacon and Egg Sandwiches on Cheddar Biscuits from Sew You Think You Can Cook.
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
- Lemon Blueberry Crepes from Love and Confections.
- Java Jolt Overnight Oats from Take A Bite Out Of Boca.
- Hagelslag-Covered Bread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
- Nutella Stuffed Aebleskiver from greens & chocolate.
- Baked French Toast Boats from The Spiffy Cookie.
- Skinny Banana Oat Flaxseed Cookies from Hip Foodie Mom.
- Cinnamon Sugar French Toast Sticks from Making Miracles.
- Cheddar Pear Proscuitto Pull-Apart Bread from It Bakes Me Happy.
- Alpine Cheese Grisini from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner.
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Bacon Cheddar Hashbrown Pancake from Pink Cake Plate.
- Huevos Rancheros Burgers from The Redhead Baker.
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Fresh Mint and Orange Blossom Fruit Salad from Sarcastic Cooking.
One year ago: Breakfast Casserole Stuffed Mini Bell Peppers
Two years ago: Strawberry Lemonade Rice Krispies Treats
Three years ago: Malted Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
BAKED FRENCH TOAST BOATS
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed Dixie Crystals light brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped California walnuts
FRENCH TOAST BOATS
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp Dixie Crystals granulated pure cane sugar
1 tsp Nielsen-Massey vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mash together the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in the walnuts and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut a deep “V” through the tops of each roll and remove the innards of the bread, leaving the bread looking like an oblong bowl. Set aside.
- Place the eggs and milk into a large bowl and lightly beat together. Beat in the remaining ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and place the four bread bowls on top.
- Divide the egg mixture between the four bread bowls. It may not all fit at first but give it a minute to soak in and pour in the rest.
- Spread topping evenly over the tops and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown, puffed and set in the center. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, cut and serve with syrup.
Source: Adapted from Steph’s Bite By Bite and Paula Deen onFood Network.
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Bob’s Red Mill, Cabot Creamery Cooperative, California Walnuts, Dixie Crystals, Grimmway Farms/Cal-Organic/True Juice, KitchenAid, Le Creuset, Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, Pacari Chocolate, Stonyfield Organic, Vidalia Onions, and Woot Froot for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own.
Made something from the blog?
Be sure to share it
on Instagram with the
[…] from Culinary Adventures with Camilla. Nutella Stuffed Aebleskiver from greens & chocolate. Baked French Toast Boats from The Spiffy Cookie. Skinny Banana Oat Flaxseed Cookies from Hip Foodie Mom. Cinnamon Sugar […]
I’ve never seen french toast filled bread:) This looks delicious though! I will trade that slice of my cookie cake for your french toast :)