The first time I made these, I did a dumb thing and used the juice from the lemon as well as the zest. Do you know what happens when you add liquid to rice krispies? They get soggy just like in a bowl of milk. I should have realized this in advance but somehow I thought it was a brilliant idea, until I took a bite and was appalled with myself.
Batch #2 I did not use the juice, just the zest and added some extract to ensure the citrus flavors did not get lost. With the addition of the freeze dried strawberries they taste just like strawberry lemonade but without the use of any artificial beverage mixes!
What brainless baking/cooking things have you done in the past? Make me feel better by letting me know I’m not the only one who does things without thinking them through in the kitchen.
One year ago: Malted Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
STRAWBERRY LEMONADE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
Makes 24 bars
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
10 oz. marshmallows
1 lemon, zested
1/8 tsp fiori di sicilia or lemon extract
6 cups puffed rice cereal
1-1/2 cups freeze dried strawberries
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, stir in the marshmallows until melted. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and extract (if using).
- Add the puffed rice cereal and strawberries to the melted marshmallows and stir until coated and evenly distributed.
- Transfer to prepared pan and spread evenly. Press down with a sheet of wax paper.
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into bars.
Source: The Spiffy Cookie original