This post is sponsored by OXO. I received complimentary product but all thoughts and opinions are my own.
A buttery lemon shortbread is sandwiched around a creamy sweet milk jam for a scrumptious combination.
This is the summer that never ends. Still hitting the 80s here in central Ohio means it’s hard to imagine fall, let alone the holidays, are right around the corner. But no matter what the weather thinks, it’s time to start thinking about what’s next for the remainder of 2019. For me that means a lot more cookies! I teamed up with OXO again this year for their #OXOGoodCookies campaign, where they will match up to $100k of all OXO-inspired bake sales and contribute $5 for each use of the #OXOGoodCookies hashtag on social media. Want to learn how to get involved? Click HERE.
The recipe for these cookies are from Renata Ameni , the Executive Pastry Chef of the New York City restaurant, Crown Shy. The food at Crown Shy is inspired from around the world, flavors from childhoods, traveling, and the diverse cuisine in New York City. The lemony but not too-sweet shortbread is perfectly complimented by the sweet creamy milk jam. It reminds me of alfajores, with the dulce de leche filling. Perfect for any upcoming bake sales to support Cookies for Kids’ Cancer.
To help me make these cookies, I also received OXO’s new 8-Piece POP Container Baking Set. I already had scads of their POP containers but I actually had yet to upgrade my flour, sugar, and brown sugar containers as my previous ones from my college days were still hanging in there. But now all my storage containers match and I can rest assured that all of my everyday baking essentials are fresh, due to their airtight features, and organized since they are stackable.
Three years ago: Weekly Meal Plan #30
Four years ago: Mesquite Chicken Sausage and Pepper Pizza
Five years ago: Cheetos Cheeseburgers
Seven years ago: Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Sage Browned Butter Sauce
LEMON COOKIES WITH CARAMELIZED MILK JAM
Makes approximately 7 dozen sandwich cookies
4 sticks (2 cups) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
3 lemons, zested
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups heavy cream
2-1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 lemons, zested
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, add heavy cream, milk, sugar, and salt. Place over high heat and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and tan in color, allowing the bottom of the pot to caramelize – about 1 hour. Using a whisk or spatula, scrape the bottom of the pan, add the lemon zest. Immediately transfer to a blender and process until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl, cover and chill in the fridge.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer (or standing mixer with paddle) cream butter, sugar and lemon zest together until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add flour and salt and mix just until incorporated. Shape dough into two discs, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325˚F. Line baking sheets with parchment (or silicone baking mats).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the dough discs to 2mm thick. Cut using a 2-inch round cookie cutter and place 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Allow to cool on sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough (chilling scraps when needed).
- When cookies are cool, place a teaspoon of milk jam on the bottom of half of the cookies and sandwich with the remaining cookies.
Source: Adapted slightly from Renata Ameni of Crown Shy.