Get ready for warm weather and Cinco de Mayo with this lightly kiwi margarita. Not too sweet but just enough fruity flavor to change things up.
You may have started to notice a trend on Thursdays with the sharing of cocktail recipes. With the onset of warmer weather more people are enjoying libations – responsibly, we can only hope.
Along with this weather comes certain upcoming holidays which are often paired with cocktails such as Cinco de Mayo and Mother’s Day brunch next week. (Oh and my 30th birthday! How is that even possible?!)
In anticipation of such events, I’ve instated Thirsty Thursdays. This week’s cocktail is a fun kiwi flavored margarita to help you celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
The best part may be that I poured it in a margarita glass that I decorated years ago (similarly to the DIY tutorial I shared).
This glass was actually 1 in 3 with the other 2 bearing the nicknames of two of my close friends from undergrad (mine as you can see is Rinny). I made these for the three of us right before I moved away to Memphis, TN for grad school and yes I gave them going away presents even though I was the one who was leaving.
Eight years and one PhD later, I moved back to Columbus, OH in January and figured it was appropriate to bust this margarita glass out and make a toast to my return. Filled with kiwis and tequila.
Must Make Margaritas
- Classic Margarita Mocktail from Jen Around the World
- Creamy Strawberry Margarita Popsicles from That Recipe
- Frozen Strawberry Margarita from Art of Natural Living
- Mai Tai Margarita from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Raspberry Margarita from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Rose Margarita from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Sangria Margarita from Palatable Pastime
- Skinny Fruit Margarita from Our Good Life
One year ago: Gluten-Free Avocado Brownies
Three years ago: Baked Banana Almond Pancakes
KIWI SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 kiwis, peeled
- 1-1/2 oz. (<1/4 cup) tequila
- 2 oz. (1/4 cup) triple sec
- 2 oz. (1/4 cup) lime juice
- 2-1/2 oz. (>1/4 cup) kiwi simple syrup
- Fresh lime and kiwi slices, for garnish
- Coarse salt for the rim
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil, whisking until the sugar dissolves. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the kiwis to a food processor and blend until pureed. Add the cooled mixture to the food processor and blend until smooth. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready to use. Can be stored for a week or so.
- Rim the ridge of your glass with a lime wedge and dip in coarse salt. Fill the glass with ice, if preferred. In a cocktail shaker, combine the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and kiwi simple syrup with more ice, and shake for about 30 seconds. Strain and pour over ice in glass and garnish with lime and kiwi slices. Repeat for additional margaritas.
Source: Adapted slightly from How Sweet It Is.
Made something from the blog?
on Instagram with the